Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all my notes on iphone5s disappeared without backup. Can they be recovered ?

All "notes" - 3 years worth - disappeared on my 5s. Why ? Can I get them back ? All I have is an old iPad. I'm relatively computer "illiterate".

iPhone 5s

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 6:51 PM

5 replies

Dec 16, 2017 11:00 AM in response to 19511973

Hello 19511973,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that that your notes have disappeared and you do not have a backup. Do you use iCloud? If so, I would check to see if the notes are on www.icloud.com from a computer. If they are, check to make sure that Notes is turned on in the iCloud settings of your iPhone. Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Notes.

You may also want to see if you have iCloud backup turned on. This will automatically create a backup file when you iPhone is plugged in charging, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi. The following article has information about iCloud backup that you may find useful: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Dec 16, 2017 9:19 PM in response to sterling r

Thanks for trying.

Summary. iPhone 5s bought August 2014, so just over 3 years. I had never updated the software - not enough available storage - nor backed it up - too cheap to buy/rent additional iCloud storage. For no apparent reason, yesterday, 3 years of "notes" disappeared. I have only an iPad 2, no computer. I know, hard to believe.

Several Apple folks tried to help but did not seem to actually listen & comprehend the above facts.

I'm 66 & actually used the phone just as a phone & notepad. I'm a retired military doctor & pilot, with undergrad EE degree from West Point, 1973. (I voted for Bernie in the primaries but abstained in the general.) We used sliderules, pen & paper & chalkboards, sufficient to get to the moon & back.

The 1st "expert" told me to delete most of my saved photos, videos & texts to gain storage, which would bring back the notes. SHE WAS WRONG ! I forwarded most to hotmail folders & gained over 3 GB storage, but alas, no notes. The next "expert" seemed intent on blaming me for failing to use the Cloud, update software, use backups, etc. & essentialy implied it was all my fault. Mea Maxima Culpa. Nonetheless, despite repeated direct requests, no answer as to EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED & WHY ?

So, if someone wants to answer EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED & WHY ? ...and how I can recover "disappeared" notes, without asking me about the cloud or "backups", thanks. Had I responded like that as an engineer, Doctor or pilot, I would have been fired or severely disciplined !

Otherwise, my observation: Apple seems populated by "experts" who - to me at least - SEEM to read from a script, without listening & frankly cannot explain the physics or engineering of EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS & WHY, & seem aghast that I'm using a 3 year old iphone, as a...phone, & am uninterested in all the updates & apps. I'll go back to pen & $1 composition books for notes as well.

Frankly, it seems Apple, Google, Amazon & Facebook are intent on becoming extra-national rulers of the world, run by techies who think & act like the Neocons, Republican & Democrat alike, who want to essentially run the world & think everyone should be like them...problem solved. Please - somebody - show me I'm wrong.

Seeing that it's actually now after midnight, I'm initiating a sleep cycle. I look forward to a technical miracle in the morning.

Dec 16, 2017 10:41 PM in response to 19511973

Thanks for your hard work , I wasn’t a “ 0 “ but I did serve 6 yrs , not meaning to disrespect, take a breath brother , you seem to be making your phone more difficult then it is. If you can fly fixed wing or chopper ( I was a mech

On Huey’s , “ J & T model Cobras “ then you got this.

Read the book that came with it , Again , take a breath ,,,

More then likely your stuff is gone. It’s suppose to transfer new info every time you plug it in or turn it on , I think if you flip it like a quarter it sings the MARINE CORPS HYMN .

I lost all my Music when I bought a new phone , I saved it to the cloud , and had 24 hr. Guard on it up there and still disappeared. Good luck Brother. One day maybe will have a beer together and listen to the music that I don’t have. Take a breath remember... OoooRAAY

Jan 9, 2018 2:48 PM in response to sterling r

I have the same issue as them. I went into my notes app to look at my schedule for work and as soon as I tapped on the note for that, every note disappeared. I've already looked in icloud and even though I have it set to back up into icloud, they're not there. I have no email accounts linked to my notes app. I've already talked to my mobile carrier about this and they couldn't help me. I'm also already aware that this glitch has something to do with one of the last updates for iphone.

Jan 9, 2018 3:01 PM in response to Dican_

It has nothing to do with any update. You can restore your most recent iCloud backup and if it was made before the notes disappeared they will be restored. Note that an iCloud backup is a single image of the data on the phone; you cannot see anything in the backup until you restore it. However, restoring a backup overwrites everything on the phone, which is why it is a good idea to enable automatic daily iCloud backups. These happen when the phone is locked, connected to power and connected to Wi-Fi.

An alternative way to manage Notes is to turn on iCloud Notes (Settings, tap on your name, tap iCloud and turn on Notes). This will save the notes in iCloud in near real time. whenever they are updated.

all my notes on iphone5s disappeared without backup. Can they be recovered ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.