Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound output iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Hi,

With the new macs coming out with a headphone out port only I was wondering if their was any way I could configure it so that I could choose between using the internal speakers and outputting it to my home stereo in system prefs. I don't want to have to do it manually. I thought of soundflower, but all the sites I visited I wasn't sure i could trust.

To clarify....I would like to keep my stereo 8th inch plug to my home stereo connected to my mac while not in use, but the mac detects it and disables the internal speakers. I would like to avoid plugging and unplugging to switch between the two. I bought the Trs adapter and it doesn't work for that usage. I didn't think it would, but I tried it anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Frank

IMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.5), I do a ton of music on my Mac!

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 6:15 PM

There are no replies.

Sound output iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.