Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport suddenly super flakey

I have 2 units on my property. So I have 2 extremes (one in each) and then 2 expresses. For some reason, the newest extreme in the backhouse suddenly the wireless just stops working. The ports are still working cause all my streaming devices are on it and they work. If I reset it, it works again for a while.

What could explain this? other than maybe interference?

Think its time for a mesh router.

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:41 PM

What could explain this?

One possibility is an internal power supply (or external, depending on the model of AirPort that you have) that is starting to head South. If that is the case, the frequency of "drops" will increase soon.

You don't mention how old the AirPort might be, but 5 years, on average, is about it for most routers designed for home use. But, I've seen power supplies give out in less than 2 years of use....especially on the current "tower" shaped version of the AirPort.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 7:41 PM in response to Codeslubber

What could explain this?

One possibility is an internal power supply (or external, depending on the model of AirPort that you have) that is starting to head South. If that is the case, the frequency of "drops" will increase soon.

You don't mention how old the AirPort might be, but 5 years, on average, is about it for most routers designed for home use. But, I've seen power supplies give out in less than 2 years of use....especially on the current "tower" shaped version of the AirPort.

Dec 20, 2017 2:49 AM in response to Codeslubber

Hello

This maybe due to the very recent Airport update.

Open Airport Utility. Look at the graphic of your various links to the internet and click on the text rectangles. This should offer you an update - mine were all auto updated at that point last week and are going like steam trains ever since (i.e. very smoothe and fast!).

My problem now is changing the NZ Country code on a newer extreme!

Colin

Dec 26, 2017 5:31 PM in response to ColinY

Hey Colin,

No it was doing it, then offered me the updates, which I installed on all 4 devices, and its continued to do it.

Totally infuriating. Really tired of reading mesh router reviews. They are all over the place.

Was thinking of maybe a home automation solution but of course that would not work unless I hard wired the hub, e.g. Alexa, which is not a terrible idea.

Airport suddenly super flakey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.