Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone used for dictating messages on my Text screen is gone, since one of the fall 2017 iOS updates ??? Anyone else have this problem?

Help! I lost the Microphone that used to be located at the bottom of my text message screen! I used it regularly to dictate my text messages and it disappeared after one of the Fall iOS updates, about 3 back. How can I get it back??? I need the little dude!

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2.1, Lost Microphone-bottom of text scre

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 8:03 PM

2 replies

Dec 16, 2017 11:44 AM in response to jqdonna

Hello jqdonna,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you are no longer able to dictate your messages because the microphone icon is missing. Make sure that the dictation settings are still turned on under Settings > General > Keyboard, Enable Dictation.

The iPhone User Guide has some additional information about Dictation you may find useful: Dictate - iPhone User Guide

Best Regards.

Dec 16, 2017 1:55 PM in response to raina_b22

Becky_s22, thanks for your response. My phone (iPhone 7+) does not have that Option, Enable Dictation, in the Keyboard options. I Googled it and found a correct answer that worked for me. The answer I found that worked is at this link: Dictation Not Working on iPhone? Here's How to Fix It

I did everything it said to do and finally, when I came down to the Restrictions part, that is where it worked to get back my microphone on my text Keyboard, at the bottom to the left of the space bar. Maybe using this link will help someone else get their Microphone back. I was lost without mine and really frustrated because I couldn't get it back for 2 months. Until last night, I finally found this solution. ALSO, I NOW have the Enable Dictation option in the Keyboard options. 🙂

Microphone used for dictating messages on my Text screen is gone, since one of the fall 2017 iOS updates ??? Anyone else have this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.