Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed reformate for High Sierra

I’m planning on selling my Macbook Pro, but after erasing and reformatting my Macintosh HD drive in disk utility, I’ve run into an issue. High Sierra can’t finish its install. When it gets to the end of it‘s load, it says “Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install.“ One thing I noticed when checking Disk Utility, is that there’s a container disk2 inside the internal drop down. Could that be the issue?

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 9:20 PM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2017 6:18 AM in response to T.M.A.

Are you doing the Erase and Reinstall on Internet Recovery? That is where you need to do it (or use a bootable High Sierra installer USB stick).

You need to select the actual Disk from the list, not the Macintosh HD or anything else.

Containers are much like Partitions. You need to wipe the entire drive, not part of it.

An APFS disk will have at least one Container, and a boot drive will have four Volumes in the container, pre-boot, recovery, vm, and the usable space (Macintosh HD).

Failed reformate for High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.