Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Mid 2014 booting problem

Hopefully someone can help me.

Recently I was installing Visual a studio on my Mac and it was left unattended. When i came back to the Macbook, it had a screen saying that your mac shutdown because of a problem. The battery then died.

I plugged the MacBook back in and got a folder icon show up with a question mark in it. I knew that this showed that the MacBook can’t find an OS. So I turned it off and tried the recovery option (CMD + R). Nothing happens. Also tried a PRAM reset, SMC reset, internet recovery options, safe mode, boot option but nothing works.

The strange thing is that when I power it on, I hear the startup chimes like useul but then it’s just a grey screen.

The next step I was going to take was to remove the SSD and try booting from USB. The issue is that I can’t access the boot option from startup by holding the OPT button. Can anyone help me because I really don’t want to take it to a Genius Bar because it’s out of warranty anyway!

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 11:39 PM

4 replies

MacBook Pro Mid 2014 booting problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.