Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updated and now double NAT?

I have one, and only one, router, the apple basestation extreme. I just updated the firmware (an alert showed in airport utility app) and now I have the double NAT message. It tells me to go into bridge mode, so I did, as I could no longer use the internet. When I did I now see other drives that are NOT on my network.

I live at the university where I teach- the ethernet cable that I plug into the basestation comes from the wall jack (not sure if that is pertinent or necessary--just trying to show I only have one router).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 11:48 PM

18 replies

Dec 16, 2017 12:59 AM in response to James McKinstry

Your university system will pass you a private IP and the Airport Extreme must be in double NAT.. you might not have seen it before because it was hidden.. but after the firmware update it is showing the issue again.

Check your WAN IP..

If it is anything in private address range then indeed the uni is not paying for you to have publicly accessible IP.

RFC1918 nameIP address rangemask bits
24-bit block10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.2558 bits
20-bit block172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.25512 bits
16-bit block192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.25516 bits

If your IP is 10.x.x.x that makes it a mess.. because the Airport uses 10.0.1.1 as default and even if the subnet mask is /24 (16 bits) your routing is probably messed up.. you should move the Airport to 192.168.1.1 which you do in the Network Options area under DHCP believe it or not.

User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2018 6:59 PM in response to James McKinstry

Asking again......Can you see the Time Capsule drive in the Finder if you use the Finder > Go > Connect to Server command?

Unless you have changed the name of the Time Capsule drive, it is named "Data". The name of your other drive will appear as well if it is connected to the USB port on the Time Capsule.

In the example below, you can see that I have changed the default name of my Time Capsule drive from the default "Data" to "Backups". The other drive connected to the USB port on the Time Capsule is named "Test Drive".

User uploaded file

If I select a drive and click OK, the drive will mount on the Desktop.

What happens if you try this with the Time Capsule drive or the USB drive connected to the Time Capsule?

Dec 16, 2017 7:02 AM in response to LaPastenague

Bridge Mode is not the correct setting for your Time Capsule, unless you want other users on the network to be able to "see" your Time Capsule on their computers. Other users won't be able to access the data on the Time Capsule, unless they know your Time Capsule password.

Double NAT is the correct setup for your Time Capsule. AirPort Utility provides you with an option to "ignore" the Double NAT notice, so the Time Capsule will display a green light. The extra NAT layer will prevent other users on the university network from "seeing" your Time Capsule on their computers.

Jan 5, 2018 7:49 AM in response to James McKinstry

Have powered off and restarted several times in Double NAT and still cannot make things fail.

Not sure what you mean when you say that you do not "see" the drive.

Does this mean that you cannot "see" the Time Capsule drive at all in the Finder?

Does this mean that you can "see" the drive, but cannot connect?

Have you deleted the current settings in Time Machine Options to remove the Time Capsule drive and then select it again?

If the drive does not appear in the Finder, are you able to connect to the drive by using the Finder > Go > Connect to Server command?

Jan 5, 2018 12:20 PM in response to James McKinstry

It was in 10.x.x.x, so I changed it to 192.168.11, but I still get double nat and still get an orange light on the internet.

You misunderstood the point of the post.

I was talking about the WAN address of the airport not its LAN address.

Your screenshot (thanks for that) shows your internet is using 192.168.0.x not 10.x.x.x so please reset the AE to factory and start over. The AE should get IP on WAN of 192.168.0.x .. if not you are in triple NAT setup and likely going to need the university computer support to help.

The reason you have no internet is your DNS or gateway address is wrong. So please give us a screenshot of what that looks like by clicking the AE to show its summary page.

Double NAT as Bob has pointed out will not stop the internet working.. it will make access to some web sites difficult. Anything that is interactive will probably be blocked.

You are part of a university system.. you have some controls which include mostly NOT running your own wireless router I suspect.. but you should check computer support services for how to setup a wireless router if it is allowed.. you are not in a home situation where you are paying for access.. and the University will firewall all users to protect themselves.

Jan 6, 2018 8:59 AM in response to James McKinstry

That is something that I cannot duplicate when I test things with a Double NAT. But, I will keep trying. If I can make the issue appear, I can find out how to fix the issue.

I asked in the last post.....

If the Time Capsule does not appear in the Finder, are you able to connect to the Time Capsule drive by using the Finder > Go > Connect to Server command?

If you are convinced that the firmware update created the issue, you might try rolling back to the previous version. This has never worked for me when working on an issue, but anything is possible.

Jan 6, 2018 6:29 PM in response to Bob Timmons

no, the drive is plugged into the usb in the back. it is an external with its own power supply. anytime I came home I could move files instantly because it would be in my finder sidebar. I could just click it and the drive would whirr up to send and receive files (it is partitioned for time machine backups and storage). I tried the go in both bridge and DHCP mode and nothing.

after the update I had to physically turn on the drive to even be able to see it. then it stopped altogether. I have an Apple TV with the VLC app so that I can watch movies from the hard drive. the VLC app now only sees the drive in DHCP mode (we used to be able to see it in bridge mode--but no longer) but we need to switch to bridge mode so that we can have internet if we want to watch Netflix.

this never happened. one day I saw an update for the basestation and it stopped altogether.

I just "basestation -- restore default settings" from the airport utility app and set it up from scratch. interestingly enough it was in bridge mode (that was not the default when I initially set it up in the first place--dhcp mode was).

there are other people in this building who have routers (none of them apple) and one is receiving internet from the school and is for sure in DHCP mode. the other has private internet. it really makes me wonder if it is this router.

Jan 6, 2018 9:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I did answer this, in bridge mode I cannot see the drive no matter what I do unless I plug it into the computer. when in DHCP mode I can see the drive doing the command you suggested--but then I have no internet.

I can see it when I turn on drive (It shuts down sometimes--power saving I assume--but before all this nonsense it would whirr up whenever I needed it).

something interesting is happening- i hit renew dchp lease then it works. I had to do it twice so far, but I seem to be able to stay in DHCP mode if I do that.

something I forgot to mention- I am a professor, not a student. the dormitories do not have ethernet--all is wireless I am a professor in Seoul Korea, and have separate housing that has ethernet so we can set up our own network (8 professors in one building and we all have our own networks). Korea IT runs on windows and the IT department knows nothing of windows. I had to set up my own computer to the printer over wifi because they said that Mac is not supported (it clearly was because I print off of it nearly everyday).

thanks for your willingness to help, I am sure you have other things you would rather be doing.

updated and now double NAT?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.