Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I export to excel the A column is empty

Hi,

When I export my spreadsheet from numbers to excel, the excel file starts at column B and the A column is empty.

Any help to solve this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 6:27 PM

Hi Matt,

Basically the same as your method, but using a horizontal line across the printable space and above the table.

With the colour of the line set to white, it disappears from the screen and from the printed page, but still serves as an object to be centred on.

I did this with a document containing two sheets and several tables, so when I exported to Excel format, the result included a sheet for each table plus a sheet for "Drawings".

The Sheet 2-Table 1 Excel workbook Sheet did include an extra row, holding the name of the table (which had been displayed in Numbers), but did not include an empty Column A.

Incidentally, with the Rulers shown, you can click in the vertical ruler and drag right, pulling out a vertical guideline, which you can position anywhere on the horizontal ruler. Repeat and you'll get a second guideline. I made a table whose with I adjusted to 'just fit' on a single page width when in Print Setup, then returned to editing mode and placed guidelines at its left and right edges. The yellow guidelines do not print.

User uploaded file

Print Setup showing table sized to fit 1 page width, and matching horizontal line (before colour change to white).

User uploaded file

Same setup viewed in editing mode.

User uploaded file

'Helper' line colour set to white.

User uploaded file

Printed (to Preview as PDF)

User uploaded file

Four empty columns removed. Table was re-centred using the 'Helper' line. The Document was then exported as an Excel file, and opened in LibreOffice.

(Empty cells are correctly exported—the table was originally used to test a script (written by SGIII) used to clear specific cells in a set of tables.)

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 6:27 PM in response to Shwmae

Hi Matt,

Basically the same as your method, but using a horizontal line across the printable space and above the table.

With the colour of the line set to white, it disappears from the screen and from the printed page, but still serves as an object to be centred on.

I did this with a document containing two sheets and several tables, so when I exported to Excel format, the result included a sheet for each table plus a sheet for "Drawings".

The Sheet 2-Table 1 Excel workbook Sheet did include an extra row, holding the name of the table (which had been displayed in Numbers), but did not include an empty Column A.

Incidentally, with the Rulers shown, you can click in the vertical ruler and drag right, pulling out a vertical guideline, which you can position anywhere on the horizontal ruler. Repeat and you'll get a second guideline. I made a table whose with I adjusted to 'just fit' on a single page width when in Print Setup, then returned to editing mode and placed guidelines at its left and right edges. The yellow guidelines do not print.

User uploaded file

Print Setup showing table sized to fit 1 page width, and matching horizontal line (before colour change to white).

User uploaded file

Same setup viewed in editing mode.

User uploaded file

'Helper' line colour set to white.

User uploaded file

Printed (to Preview as PDF)

User uploaded file

Four empty columns removed. Table was re-centred using the 'Helper' line. The Document was then exported as an Excel file, and opened in LibreOffice.

(Empty cells are correctly exported—the table was originally used to test a script (written by SGIII) used to clear specific cells in a set of tables.)

Regards,

Barry

Dec 16, 2017 5:54 AM in response to Shwmae

Hi Matt,

I'm having trouble following. Numbers doesn't have "pages." Centering a table on a sheet for printout shouldn't add an extra empty column in an export. Adding an empty column on the left in the Numbers table would result in an empty column in the export. In any case glad you've got it working the way you want. 🙂

SG

Dec 16, 2017 6:14 AM in response to SGIII

Hi SG

The only way I could figure out how to centre my table horizontally was to create a rectangle the same size as my A4 page and then drag it to the centre for the centre guide line to show up. That’s what caused the issue as when I aligned back to the top left all was well.

Is there an easier way to centre tables for printouts?

When I export to excel the A column is empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.