Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternative to DiskWarrior 5.0 for macOS High Sierra?

Hi Guys,

As disk utility first aid can't solve an issue on a MBP I'm working on, can anyone suggest a "Safe" alternative to DiskWarrior 5.0 as it does not work... I have looked into it and found out that for macOS High Sierra, soon they will release a new recovery maker...

But in the meantime does anyone knows a way around it or another safe and performant DiskWarrior like App?

Thanks a bunch!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS10.13.3 Beta / SSD-i7-2.9GHz-16GB

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 1:04 PM

Yikes, best to steer clear of such things, especially TechTool Pro.

Mac tends to look after itself, what is the problem you are experiencing.

Sometimes just downloading the Combo updater and installing it can help, as it resets some system files and caches.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You could try Onyx it is free, some people have noticed an improvement to how High Sierra performs by running the Automation task. https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

It is probably the more benign of the aforementioned apps.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2017 1:04 PM in response to xmetienne

Yikes, best to steer clear of such things, especially TechTool Pro.

Mac tends to look after itself, what is the problem you are experiencing.

Sometimes just downloading the Combo updater and installing it can help, as it resets some system files and caches.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You could try Onyx it is free, some people have noticed an improvement to how High Sierra performs by running the Automation task. https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

It is probably the more benign of the aforementioned apps.

Dec 23, 2017 3:24 PM in response to xmetienne

Drives that fail can't be "repaired" in any permanent sense of the word, and the need to use data recovery software on a failed hard disk means that some data has already been rendered permanently irretrievable. If you ever need to use such things it means your backup strategy has already failed.

Considering that the Disk "Warrior" product already costs much more than even a 2 TB hard disk drive, it's a poor alternative to a backup strategy.

To learn how to use Time Machine please read https://support.apple.com/HT201250. A reliable backup strategy means you will never face the need to recover lost data.

Dec 23, 2017 12:33 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Eau Rouge,

You know what?!?!? Thanks for the advice, you're so right... I was actually worried about other applications...

The only one I trust with proven track records is DiskWarrior and not the others... I will then keep on optimizing the os manually until their sh_t is sorted... I won't even try Techtool, I might have a look at onyx, but won't try my luck if not feeling comfortable...

This is not the first time I am reading your posts and you're always spot on... keep on with it 😎

Dec 23, 2017 1:04 PM in response to xmetienne

Alsoft had intended a v5.1 update to DiskWarrior to make it fully compatible with High Sierra and APFS, but being in the epicenter of hurricane Harvey caused unplanned delays. The version 5 product should still work on non-APFS drives (it won't recognize APFS drives). Here is more High Sierra related info on DW 5.0. I would advise that you contact Alsoft after 12/27 when they are back from Christmas break, and inquire about when v5.1 and APFS support will be available.

I have used DW for years without issue, and will update to v5.1 when it is released. That said, I seldom use it anymore, other than to rebuild a Disk catalog if it is beyond a certain fragmentation value.

Dec 23, 2017 1:35 PM in response to dialabrain

@Dialabrain... I've messed up big time (many times) and never made it to rebuild a directory or fix a drive with the first aid from disk utility... I have tried many other solutions, such as TechTool... One day I saw a Genius at an Apple Store using it, made so research and discovered that it makes miracle... It saved my dumb *** more than once... maybe check it out... https://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ Please note that I am not working for them and do not gain anything from them talking about it here, beside saving me a lot of headaches... Maybe another advanced level user might confirm what I am saying

<Edited by Host>

Dec 23, 2017 1:43 PM in response to xmetienne

I've messed up big time (many times) and never made it to rebuild a directory or fix a drive with the first aid from disk utility...

What do you do to mess up the disk such that it needs to be repaired?

As with dialabrain, I've never needed to repair anything in 30+ years, with Disk Utility or with something else.

If I get a drive problem, I reformat it and restore from my backup. If the drive fails again, it goes in the trash. Why would you trust your data on a drive that has inherent problems?

The only ones that have failed on me were Seagate "consumer" backup drives, and two bare drives that had known manufacturing flaws. Guess what brand disk I don't buy anymore.

I've also had a few flakey external enclosures. I bought replacements and no problems with the drives themselves.

Dec 23, 2017 1:57 PM in response to Barney-15E

What did I do? mess it up with BootCamp... this is why now I have boot camp installed on a separate drive and not a partition of my macOS drive anymore...

You've mentioned the magic words... Backup and Seagate... I rarely have recent backups and I have now to torture myself to have Time Machine running on a regular basis...

And last but not least, you just made me realized that the drive which gave me the most headache was a Seagate, since I've moved to SSD and having bootcamp installed on a separate drive (touch wood) I have avoided running into such issues...

Hey guys! @Dialabrain and @Barney-15E you guys seems to forget a very important point! You guys have a knowledge way above mine and many other users, and if something goes wrong you would know exactly what to do, whilst many of us will start panicking and would rely on a ready made solution or easy way around, such as DiskWarrior, Onyx, SuperDupper...

Dec 23, 2017 2:13 PM in response to xmetienne

Hey guys! @Dialabrain and @Barney-15E you guys seems to forget a very important point! You guys have a knowledge way above mine and many other users, and if something goes wrong you would know exactly what to do, whilst many of us will start panicking and would rely on a ready made solution or easy way around, such as DiskWarrior, Onyx, SuperDupper...

The only thing I know about disks when they "go wrong" is to get rid of them. I don't spend more than the time needed to erase and reinstall. That'w what I would do if I BootCamped it to death.

I have now to torture myself to have Time Machine running on a regular basis...

I never notice it is running.

Dec 23, 2017 2:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

I have now to torture myself to have Time Machine running on a regular basis...

I never notice it is running.

It is just to make sure when I get back home the 5TB external is connected to a power source and to my MBP... most of the time I come back late from work and leave early morning forgetting to connect the MBP to the external drive to have Time Machine running a backup... that's what I meant with torturing myself! lol 😝😁

Dec 23, 2017 2:52 PM in response to xmetienne

If that is your only Mac, and you don't have a Time Capsule (I wouldn't buy one, now that they are discontinued), then backup options are difficult to maintain on a laptop.

Another solution would be a smaller, portable drive. Yeah, there are port issues to deal with...

You can use both as a TM backup, connecting to the desktop drive weekly and the portable daily.

Alternative to DiskWarrior 5.0 for macOS High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.