Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeps backing up all hard drive contents

Have a MacBook 12" and when I backup manually Time Machine always backs up the entire hard drive as if it's the first backup. I do not back up automatically only when new files are added. Does not seem to happen on my Mac Pro!.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 12:31 PM

Your profile is showing OS is El Capo.. is that still correct?

How do you know it is backing up the entire contents?

Please open the console and type backup into the search.. this will give you the log messages from Time Machine.. and it will help you (maybe) see the precise issue.. and how much it is backing up.

If it is backing up the entire disk every time your Time Capsule should be full to bursting with the sparsebundle from the 12" .. check the size.. does it make sense.. and how much history does it have in it. Or is it in fact replacing the backup each time?

If you have upgraded to Sierra or High Sierra.. strongly recommend NOT using Time Machine as it is unreliable.

I moved to Carbon Copy Cloner a while ago.. and it works very well.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 12:31 PM in response to terryfrommilton keynes

Your profile is showing OS is El Capo.. is that still correct?

How do you know it is backing up the entire contents?

Please open the console and type backup into the search.. this will give you the log messages from Time Machine.. and it will help you (maybe) see the precise issue.. and how much it is backing up.

If it is backing up the entire disk every time your Time Capsule should be full to bursting with the sparsebundle from the 12" .. check the size.. does it make sense.. and how much history does it have in it. Or is it in fact replacing the backup each time?

If you have upgraded to Sierra or High Sierra.. strongly recommend NOT using Time Machine as it is unreliable.

I moved to Carbon Copy Cloner a while ago.. and it works very well.

Dec 18, 2017 5:37 AM in response to terryfrommilton keynes

Console should have a whole heap of messages from TM.. something is seriously wrong if there is nothing..

If you mean there is no relevant info that is different but there must be messages.. heaps of them.

I am attempting at the moment to see if TM will work reliably to a USB drive on a high end Asus router.. it has taken me a bit to get it running but I would say has the same issue as TC. These are console messages.

Starting automatic backup

Attempting to soft mount network destination URL: afp://ray-local@RT-AC3200-82F0._afpovertcp._tcp.local./Backups.backupdb

Mounted network destination at mount point: /Volumes/Backups.backupdb using URL: afp://ray-local@RT-AC3200-82F0._afpovertcp._tcp.local./Backups.backupdb

Checking for runtime corruption on /dev/disk2s2

Disk image /Volumes/Backups.backupdb/z87proimac.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups

Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Backups.backupdb

Disk image already attached: /Volumes/Backups.backupdb/z87proimac.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable)

Disk image /Volumes/Backups.backupdb/z87proimac.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups

Backing up to /dev/disk3s2: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Will copy (44.1 MB) from asusz87pro

Found 200 files (44.1 MB) needing backup

104.9 MB required (including padding), 397.01 GB available

Copied 322 items (41.5 MB) from volume asusz87pro. Linked 3483.

Created new backup: 2017-12-17-175710

Starting post-backup thinning

No post-backup thinning needed: no expired backups exist

Backup completed successfully.

Ejected Time Machine disk image: /Volumes/Backups.backupdb/z87proimac.sparsebundle

Ejected Time Machine network volume.

Glad to see you take backup seriously I was doing the same.. both CCC occasionally and TM as per default hourly.. then my annual deletion took place.

User uploaded file

At this point.. seeing as the TC virtually touches the computer.. and there is no question of poor connection.. I swapped from TM to CCC as regular backup.. CCC has excellent messages.. I know when it fails and why.. unlike TM it keeps me informed.

eg.

CCC was unable to mount the destination network volume due to an invalid username or password.

It is so easy to give a message but no.. TM just one day ups and deletes.

And yet your other computer TM is running fine.. quirky isn't it..

Plus your backups from 2015 is excellent.. imagine TM not corrupting itself for 2 years.. outstanding.. !!

Dec 16, 2017 11:25 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the heads up. Have done as you said but no information is displayed. Also use CCC and have for years as a failsafe every couple of weeks. Have set up for automatic backup and seems to be working as it should. Still not convinced about Time Machine as I have read it does not backup the OS?. Just keep using both but CCC more often. Funnily enough have installed High Sierra on the Pro but seems ok.

Keeps backing up all hard drive contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.