Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine makes huge backups although I did not change anything

Every since a few days Time Machine keeps making these huge backups even though I did not change anything on the computer or added new files.

I did a backup last night and just this morning did another one to see how much Time Machine wants to back up. It made a backup of 400+ MB, that is almost half a gigabyte even though I hardly worked with the computer. Last week it wanted to make a backup of 1,4 TB (!!) which is when I deleted all the backups from Time Machine and started out anew.

How can this problem be solved?

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 2:02 AM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2017 3:14 AM in response to Thorsten Steffens

IF you run Sierra or later.. and even some of the earlier OS.. give up on Time Machine .. it is unreliable.. I moved to Carbon Copy Cloner long ago and kept up TM backups until a few weeks ago when it decided to autonomously wipe its own backup.

Certainly on Sierra there are known issues to Network targets.. Time Machine is a lot more reliable to local disk.. but it has become unstable.

400MB is not over large.. if your computer is doing normal stuff.. just browsing internet sites now can take an amazing amount of space.

eg my last few backups are all in the 200MB range.. and i only work on a few websites. Time Machine will automagically thin out the excess backups so I would not worry about 400MB.. I would worry about 1.4TB..

Time Machine makes huge backups although I did not change anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.