Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 iPhones X - 2 different displays - how?

Hi,

I have recently purchased an iPhone X for my wife, and then, one for myself too. Both are 256 Gb versions, one is silver, other is black. Guess what? They have very different displays:

1/ One is brighter than the other at maximum manual brightness, truetone off.

2/ They behave differently with color shifting due to angle of view, one goes greenish if viewed off straight angle, the other is more prone to purplish cast. Also, one gets into color-shift much faster, with slightest viewing angle, the other is slightly better when viewed at an angle.

It seems the two displays not only have different calibration, but they are different at hardware level.

I have made a little research, and viewed a couple of samples in Apple stores around, they are all brighter-greenish cast ones. I have also seen at least one more iphone X purchased that was dimmer-purplish cast one.

To sum up, the brighter-greenish cast ones look much better to my eye, less prone to color shifting at an off-angle viewing. While the others, dimmer-purplish ones leave one struggle even to find a straight viewing angle when all the screen is uniform white (almost impossible to achieve as one of the corners starts shifting into purplish cast at the slightest angle scew).

Here is the video illustrating the issue. I must add that it is much more pronounced to the naked eye, than captured on the video.

2 iPhones X, two different displays! Any ideas? - YouTube

So is your iphone X brighter-greenish cast, or dimmer-purplish cast? It would be interesting to known the statistics, and hear any ideas on why this is happening with supposedly same display manufacturer (Samsung) and allegedly the best calibrated AMOLED display on the market!

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 6:41 AM

There are no replies.

2 iPhones X - 2 different displays - how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.