Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I wait until APFS works with fusion drives before I update to High Sierra?

I have an 2013 iMac with a fusion drive running 10.12.6. I would like to upgrade to High Sierra but know the new file system (APFS) isn't configured for the fusion drive. Is there any reason to upgrade to High Sierra now, or should I wait until the fusion drive upgrade?

macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 6:22 AM

11 replies

Jan 19, 2018 2:03 AM in response to Barney-15E

I'm on HS right now, 10.13 actually. I restored from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup to a FusionDrive. Now, when I want to update to the newest version, the installer (updater, isntaller whatever) is always pointing me to the same article. So the only solution for me is to do a backup to CCC, convert my fusiondrive to HFS+, restore from CCC backup, update, backup the 10.13.2 drive again to CCC, reformat the fusiondrive to APFS and then restore back to that drive from CCC backup. There is no way for me to "live update" the HS installation on my FusionDrive because of APFS. That is why I'm asking how did you do that 🙂

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2018 2:12 AM in response to originalmagneto

If you have an APFS Fusion drive, you must erase it completely, rebuild the Fusion drive, then install the OS.

APFS Fusion drives are not supported in the release version of High Sierra.

You will need to boot into Internet Recovery in order to erase the drive and rebuild it.

Once that is done, you can install High Sierra, either through IR installing the original shipping OS then upgrade, or by using a Bootable USB installer.

During the Setup Assistant, Migrate from your Time Machine backup.

Should I wait until APFS works with fusion drives before I update to High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.