Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set the default user in Safari?

Every time I open Safari, it opens with my wife as the "default" user. I have to log her out and log myself in. I don't understand how she became the default user as she rarely uses my computer.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:00 PM

Thank you for the reply but I really do mean Safari. When I am looking at my home screen (Google SSL search), I can see my wife's picture in the top right corner. When I left click, I see that next to her email address it says - (default). My email is below hers, I can click me, or logoff her, add more accounts etc...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 8:00 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you for the reply but I really do mean Safari. When I am looking at my home screen (Google SSL search), I can see my wife's picture in the top right corner. When I left click, I see that next to her email address it says - (default). My email is below hers, I can click me, or logoff her, add more accounts etc...

Dec 16, 2017 9:28 AM in response to El Paso Steve

Do you really mean Safari, Safari is an internet browser and does not need to be logged in to to use.

Or do you mean Sierra.

Is your mac set up to Automatically Login on start up, if so you can switch off Automatically Login.

System Preferences> Users & Groups> Login Options now set Automatic Login to off.

Now when you restart the mac you will get a login screen where you and your wife can click on your identity and enter a password to open your mac in your respective user accounts. you can also go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy> General you can set the mac to ask for a password for login when the mac goes to sleep or the screensaver starts. Although this might reflect the amount of trust there is in your marriage. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

How do I set the default user in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.