Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

powerbook boots but no video (not even external)

My 2005 glorious G4 12" is booting and it even gets an IP on my router (I even can get in by SSH!) but there is no image on the video. I have tried to attach it to an external VGA monitor (known to work from my newer macbook) but there is no image on the external monitor either.

Any suggestion on how to debug what is the cause of this no image problem and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 2:53 AM

You've already taken the best debugging step--the external monitor. The fact that it does not show an image on a known-good external display usually indicates a fatal error with the graphics processor unit or somewhere else on the logic board. Had the external worked that would suggest a potential fixable issue with the display or its cabling.

I had a MacBook Pro suffer the fatal "nVidea Curse," a total failure of the nVidea GeForce 8600M GT video chipset (may the fleas of a thousand camels take up residence in nVidea's undergarments). Like yours, it showed up on the network and I could even access the hard drive from my iMac via FireWire Target Disk Mode to recover files, but the display would not come up on any external monitor I had. The video chipset was thoroughly, totally, absolutely dead.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 2:53 AM in response to foice.news

You've already taken the best debugging step--the external monitor. The fact that it does not show an image on a known-good external display usually indicates a fatal error with the graphics processor unit or somewhere else on the logic board. Had the external worked that would suggest a potential fixable issue with the display or its cabling.

I had a MacBook Pro suffer the fatal "nVidea Curse," a total failure of the nVidea GeForce 8600M GT video chipset (may the fleas of a thousand camels take up residence in nVidea's undergarments). Like yours, it showed up on the network and I could even access the hard drive from my iMac via FireWire Target Disk Mode to recover files, but the display would not come up on any external monitor I had. The video chipset was thoroughly, totally, absolutely dead.

powerbook boots but no video (not even external)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.