Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use adjustments in Photos after upgrading Final Cut Pro X 10.4

Can't use adjustments in Photos after upgrading Final Cut Pro X 10.4.

Contacted Apple Support and thought it was sorted but unfortunately it has not.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), Mac OS X (10.7.5), macOS High Sierra

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 4:13 AM

4 replies

Dec 16, 2017 2:56 PM in response to NevetsM

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

If it persists log into another user account on your Mac and repeat the above test there.

A last test is to boot into Safe Mode, Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode, and try to edit from there.

Report the results.

User uploaded file

Dec 17, 2017 12:42 AM in response to NevetsM

Which version of MacOS X are you running?

It is curious, that the problem occurred, after you installed the Final Cut Pro update. This update came together with an update of the video formats.

selecting the radio button of ‘Levels’ and ‘Curves’ does not show the graphs once available before upgrade of FCPX 10.4.

Clicking the button just toggles the applied adjustment on and off.

To see the curves, click first the triangle to the left of Curves.

Until you open the disclosure triangle, the curve will be hidden. The same goes for "Selective Color" and "Levels".

User uploaded file

If the adjustments are grayed out completely, the usual reason is, that Photos cannot access the original image files or the file format of the photos is not supported. What is the format of your images? JPEGs, RAW, TiFFs, or perhaps the new "HEIC"? Have the images been taken with an iPhone or a camera?

Dec 16, 2017 7:02 AM in response to NevetsM

What is happening, when you try to apply adjustments?

Does the adjustment panel not open, when you are in Edit mode?

Or are the advanced controls not visible?

If you cannot reveal the advanced controls, you may need to adjust the contrast of your display.

There should be a disclosure triangle to the far left of the name of the adjustment.

Adjust the contrast of your display, so you can see the disclosure triangles again: The luminosity of the triangles is just two values of luminosity lighter than black. If you increased the contrast of your display, the triangles are as black as the background and no longer visible.

To make the disclosure triangles visible again, use the "System Preferences > Accessibility > Display" settings.

Set the Display Contrast to normal and disable "Increase Contrast" or the triangles will vanish.

User uploaded file

Click the barely visible, tiny triangle to the left of "Light" or "Color" or other automatic adjustments to reveal the advanced controls. If you change the contrast of your display, the triangle may not be visible at all. Then click, where it should be or revert the contrast to the default settings.

User uploaded file

Fully expanded, the panel will be too long to fit fully into he window. Then you may need to scroll it to see all adjustments. But Photos may not be showing a scrollbar, if you did not set the system preferences > General to always display a scrollbar. Just try scrolling with the trackpad, if you think there should be more adjustments at the bottom of the panel.

Dec 16, 2017 2:08 PM in response to léonie

Thanks

What is happening, when you try to apply adjustments?

Can’t apply adjustments as they are greyed out. Can move the bars left or right but I’mages stays the same.

Does the adjustment panel not open, when you are in Edit mode?

Edit mode opens but again adjustments are greyed out. For an example, the colours palette shows no dark to light I’mage, just a greyed out box.

If I out “Crop” I see a empty box. No I’mage. If I open “Filters” I see filter boxes from “Original” to “Noir” but they are all the same colour.

Or are the advanced controls not visible?

All the advanced Controls are there, just not the coloured background I’mage, or the graph you get in “Levels” and Curves etc.

If you cannot reveal the advanced controls, you may need to adjust the contrast of your display.

This is fine for all other applications and I have not altered this since purchase.

There should be a disclosure triangle to the far left of the name of the adjustment.

Adjust the contrast of your display, so you can see the disclosure triangles again: The luminosity of the triangles is just two values of luminosity lighter than black. If you increased the contrast of your display, the triangles are as black as the background and no longer visible.

All the adjustments are there, so are the triangles. It’s the background Image within the adjustment boxes that are not showing, until you select the radio button (far right) but I believe that should happen when you use a slider and it does not, and the main I’mage does not change.

To make the disclosure triangles visible again, use the "System Preferences > Accessibility > Display" settings.

Set the Display Contrast to normal and disable "Increase Contrast" or the triangles will vanish.

I don’t think I need to do that. However, I did have a look, and all I can do with mine is to:

Select Display. Colour. Night Shift

Resolution Default for display (This one is selected)

Scale (Not selected)

Automatically adjust brightness. (Which is selected)

Just to clarify. All the adjustments are visible. I was the Image, until you select the radio button far right of the individual adjustments. However, selecting the radio button of ‘Levels’ and ‘Curves’ does not show the graphs once available before upgrade of FCPX 10.4.

I don’t think it happens to be coincidence, I was using Photos before the upgrade and started using Photos after the upgrade. That is when I found the problem.

Can't use adjustments in Photos after upgrading Final Cut Pro X 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.