Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update will not install due to some unknown condition

I've attempted to install the macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Update 4 times now, each time it restarts, goes thru the update process yet indicates it could not complete the update. I don't think the restart fully happened as it never went thru my sign in process upon reboot.

FlipPlayer-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 6:35 AM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2017 5:36 PM in response to jcosta97

Hi jcosta97,

I understand that you are trying to update your Mac to macOS High Sierra 10.13.2, but you get an error each time. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

I recommend that you try downloading the combo update manually:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update

Additionally try installing this update using safe mode and a new user:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Dec 21, 2017 7:42 AM in response to i_rina

Unfortunately, no luck. I first tried installing the Combo Update under the normal non-safe mode. It too produced the same "unable to install" result. I then tried to boot into Safe Mode but the system would not boot - after prompting me for my signon, the progress bar moved very slowly until the end of it's window and then sat there. I let it alone for an hour, then powered off, rebooted normally, tried the roboot to Safe Mode and got the same result. I ran Disk Utility, First Aid, which ran without errors, tried it again and got the same hang trying to go to Safe Mode. There was a Guest User account setup on my system (Apple set this up from a previous service call) but when I use it, all it gives me is Safari. When I exit Safari, it reboots back to my normal ID (although it doesn't prompt me to signon to my normal ID, which I thought was strange). I have a MacBook Pro 17" mid 2010, if that's any help diagnosing the issue.

Update will not install due to some unknown condition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.