Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating transitions

I'm wanting to produce some promotional videos for the Rugby club I volunteer with. I've got the base video of the stand and I want the other video to look like a screen I come from the roof to show the video. I know how to add a drop zone for the highlights but want to add a transition to it. I'm not sure if there is one already built into Motion, how do I go about creating one?

Motion 5, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 7:05 AM

9 replies

Dec 17, 2017 7:16 AM in response to Hawkeye_84

If I understand correctly, this is quite easy to achieve.

The video that plays in the center should be in a Drop Zone.

You need to keyframe the Y position of the dropzone, but you want the time it takes to come down and go up be fixed, independent of the video duration.

To do this, you need to set special markers on your Motion timeline: these are called Build In and Build Out.

This ensures that, for example, the screen takes two seconds to come down, stays down and then goes up in the last two seconds, whether the video in all is 10 seconds or 30 or whatnot.

To set a marker on the timeline, control-click at the top of the timeline and choose Add Marker.

Then control-click the marker and choose Edit Marker...

User uploaded file

Here is a timeline with a build in and a build out marker:

User uploaded file

Jan 1, 2018 10:06 PM in response to Hawkeye_84

hmm, would you allow me to make a fundamental change to your 'construction'?

What I would do:

(I wouldn't waste 40% of valuable screen-estate for the 'packaging' … but any–how…)

Edit your report in FCPX, incl transitions, color-corrections. wotever …

Then compound the whole story and apply a home-brewn 'effect', you created in Motion:

User uploaded file

That 'Effect' contains

• the stadium (hint: use a freeze, not that shaky freehand one)

• two published drop zones, to add teams logos in FCPX

• and finally, the 'source' shrieked and animated …

• all the intro animation is set as 'mandatory' … (excellent hint from Luís!)

gives:

when you apply that 'effect', and after filing the logos, it automatically grabs your edited report, resizes and animates it.…

maybe no beginner task, just tell me, I can tinker a 'proof of concept prototype' for you, … if you want.

Jan 2, 2018 11:36 AM in response to Hawkeye_84

just hit sent … after dl, un-zip and dragging into ~/Movies/Motion Templates/Effects, your workflow should be:

User uploaded file

First edit your report, incl transitions…

Then, compound the whole timeline.

Drag the Rugby Effect onto it.

This adds: the background, adds two DZ for the teamlogos, shrinks the report, put it outside the frame, title animation, then the report drops from the top to the middle.

THIS IS NO READY TO USE TEMPLATE!

This is meant as a basis for your further refinements (e.g. publish the title, to create in FCPX customize titles etc)

Plus, you have to replace my google-find stadium by yours.

Adjust the timing… simply drag the Motion-path to the wanted time index. Stretch it or zoom it to adjust speed. You probably have to apply a mask to make it appear 'from under the roof'-.

When you open the motn project file in Motion, you see all elements, tried to give meaningful names…

User uploaded file

… a sketch, demoing some techniques I would use…

When all done and working, I would re-consider the whole layout: you 'waste' - by my standards! - 75% of screen estate… with that static bg-pic; the teams colors are twice the size of the report etc. etc.

just my 5€¢ .…

Dec 16, 2017 11:53 PM in response to Hawkeye_84

// @Ben: perfect answer … but for a diff. question, I guess 😉 //

@hawkeye:

don't understand exactly what you have a mind … a 'transition' in terms of, the video/dropzone 'drops' into the scenery? then, simply keyframe or add a Move behavior to the dropzone, as to any other clip.

Or, to fade-in the Dropzone? Same story: apply fade-in/-out behaviors

Or, do you want, in FCPX, to apply several clips into that DZ and want transitions btw those? Then, stitch clips together in FCPX, apply transitions, compound the whole stuff and drag THAT into the DZ....

creating transitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.