Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open a library copied to my external hard drive

I installed “Final Cut Pro Trial” on my mac before deciding to purchase and install “Final Cut Pro X”.
Now, when I want to copy and then install a certain library onto my external hard drive that I created in “Final Cut Pro X,” when I open my external hard drive to look at this library, I can see the library has installed but I can’t open it.
I receive this error message:
“Final Cut Pro Trial cannot be opened because of a problem.
Check with the developer to make sure Final Cut Pro Trial works with this version of macOS…”

I deleted “Final Cut Pro Trial” from my mac, but for some reason the app icon still appears in the Launchpad.
Nothing I do or try gets rid of this icon.
Obviously, something is wrong here and I can’t figure out what to do and would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, Fingerprint id scanner

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 7:31 AM

13 replies

Dec 16, 2017 8:28 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm hesitant to do that with my FCPX app because, without being able to back up my files onto my external hard drive (or at least view them to make sure I have a copy), I will lose all of my videos in FCPX. Also, as I wrote in my original post, I have repeatedly tried to delete Final Cut Pro Trial without success.

If I do delete my FCPX app and then reinstall, I will lose all my videos, correct? I can't do that because I have a large project that I'm working on now and can't imagine starting from scratch.

I just rebooted my computer again and no luck. The problem remains.

Dec 16, 2017 11:02 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

That did it, Tom! Thanks so much! I think what I may have done wrong was not placing FCPtrial in the Trash carefully. I have learned that one has to place apps or files or whatever carefully in the Trash. Sometimes, it takes a bit of creativity to line things up to put them in there before they actually end up where they are supposed to go. But your solution has given me peace of mind and I thank you again! Merry Christmas!!

Unable to open a library copied to my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.