Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting numbered paragraphs to have second and following lines aligned at left margin

I cannot within Pages figure out how to create a numbered list (sequential numbered paragraphs) where the second and following lines align to the left margin (as opposed to aligning to a tab to the right). Items in the ruler for second and following lines will not go to the left beyond the tab setting. If I tinker with Page settings, I lose the space after the paragraph number. I assume that what I want can be done within Pages given that it is easily done within Word for Mac. I would rather not type all without any number and then add numbering only with the finished version. Importing an example from Word does not help. The same problem exists. Thanks for any help. What I'd like is:

1. This is the first line of text of my example. I'm now typing gibberish to be able to get to the second line. I'm now repeating this so that it will be long enough when posted.

2. This second paragraph is the same format.

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:24 AM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2017 11:50 AM in response to bobfromoakville

Hi Bob,

"I assume that what I want can be done within Pages given that it is easily done within Word for Mac."

Would you also "assume that what I want can be done with a Smart4two given that it is easily done with a Ford 150 Crew Cab for the same highway"?.

Pages is not Word, nor, judging by the design and capabilities, was it ever intended to be a clone of Word.

What you want can be done in Pages the same way as you did it here if you turn off the Automatically detect Lists checkbox in Pages Preferences > General > Editing:

User uploaded file

Then type your list as a series of numbered paragraphs, starting each paragraph with its number, a period and a tab. (Screen shot below with invisibles visible to display the keystrokes.

User uploaded file

But unless you're trying to make the text less readable, I don't see why you'd want to align the lines this way.

Regards,

Barry

Formatting numbered paragraphs to have second and following lines aligned at left margin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.