Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded accidentally

I accidentally downloaded something when I wanted to view a movie online. It said I needed the newest version of Flash to play the movie. Before I could think (new to iMac) I downloaded it and all its buddies. I’ve tried moving the apps to the trash can but they just pop back to their spot. They continue to pop up windows asking me to purchase something. How do I uninstall these?

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 11:44 AM

5 replies

Dec 16, 2017 11:57 AM in response to Devobecky

There are fake Flash Player installs all over the net. Malware hides in the downloads and you'd never know it's there until too late. Only download Flash Player updates from within System Preferences > Flash Player or from the Official Adobe Website.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC. It gets rave reviews and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Dec 18, 2017 4:35 AM in response to Devobecky

Devobecky wrote:

I just went to the Apple store on my iMac and that isn’t an option. It is on my iPhone but the problem is on the iMac. There’s Adware Doctor.

Do not download any anti-virus software from the Mac App Store, especially Adware Doctor. Most of the programs in that category there are scams, and those that aren't scams are extremely limited due to the requirements of the App Store. There's a lot of stuff they will never be able to detect or remove.

Malwarebytes for Mac is not available there, you have to download it from the Malwarebytes website.

Downloaded accidentally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.