Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop automatic update

How do I stop an automatic update for my Mac? It keeps stalling, and I’ve restarted my MacBook Pro numerous times.

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:29 AM

4 replies

Dec 17, 2017 3:41 AM in response to VikingOSX

I spoke with someone at Apple who had me do a Command-R (for recovery) upon restart. First we tried running First Aid on everything. When that did not clear up the problem, we chose to reinstall the operating system. This finally got me out of the stalled installation. Now I just need to reinstall my Norton program and all will be back to normal. I did redo my App Store settings per your advice. Thank you!

Dec 17, 2017 5:23 AM in response to Madamelibrarian

Running anti-virus software on macOS is unnecessary, and as countless posts to the Apple Support Communities confirm, a surefire way to cause instability and performance degradation in the operating system which does not support viruses. In nearly every reported case, the removal of the anti-virus software was the remedy. Norton is chief among the offenders.

There are two justifiable reasons for anti-virus software on macOS: 1) if you are interchanging Windows Office documents with co-workers, or outside agencies — where the goal of the software would be to protect Windows users from themselves, and 2) Corporate security policy.

What you should be using regularly is Malwarebytes, either in its free form, or optional subscription. Many of us recommend, and personally use this product without vendor compensation. I personally use it, and so far, due to good habits, have not found any malware. It simply augments the continually updated malware updates that Apple pushes out each month, and that are built into the operating system. These are silent software updates.

Stop automatic update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.