Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone photos not recognized by Photos or iCloud

Help! I have a total of ~8600 photos on my iPhone SE and have settings to back up to iCloud, however, there are only 6800 photos in iCloud (with more than enough space left available). Similarly, the phone is set up to back up to my computer when connected to wifi and the same photos that are not in iCloud are also not being being recognized by the computer. There are literally full days/weeks of photos that are on my phone but will not be backed up. I'm confused as to why these photos are not being recognized... can someone please offer some suggestions?

Thank you!!

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:52 AM

9 replies

Dec 16, 2017 9:16 AM in response to mrscline

I have a total of ~8600 photos on my iPhone SE and have settings to back up to iCloud, however, there are only 6800 photos in iCloud

IOS backup to iCloud has nothing to do with iCloud/Photos - and backing up to iCloud does not mean you can see your photos on iCloud

Your IOS backup on iCloud can not be viewed and is just exactly what it says, a backup - you can restore it but you can not view its contents or use it other than to restore the IOS device

iCloud/Photos shows photos synced using iCloud Photo Library

LN

Dec 16, 2017 9:31 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the reply! I am probably using the incorrect terminology when I say "backup". I just want to see the photos on my iPhone show up in the Photos application on the computer, which is probably more of the "sync" you referred to. When I sync, this large gap of photos is left behind on my iPhone that is not coming over onto the computer. Any ideas on why there is a discrepancy or how I can fix it?

Dec 16, 2017 10:01 AM in response to LarryHN

Ok, thanks. Hopefully this information is helpful but let me know if there are additional items needed.

I have had the phone since October 2016. There are sporadic pictures over the time I have had the phone that are missing from the Photos application on the computer (and iCloud), it isn't isolated to a specific period of time. For example for one day I have 20 pictures on the phone but only 3 are on the computer, in other instances its full days that are missing. Here are some additional details:

iMac: OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4, 128 GB free on HD. (also have an external HD with 522 GB open)

iPhone: 55.7 GB capacity (64 GB phone) with 12.0 MB available (reason 1for wanting to move these pictures), operating system on iPhone: iOS 9.3.4 (reason 2 - I need to update but I want to make sure I have these photos safe before I update in case something happens)

iCloud: 50 GB storage with 9.4 GB available after a full backup as of today. iCloud Drive is on, Photos in on.

Thank you!

Dec 16, 2017 11:04 AM in response to LarryHN

Ok, beyond the storage information above for iCloud, the iCloud Photo Library settings say:

iCloud Photo Library - On (automatically upload and store your entire library in iCloud to access photos and videos from all your devices.

Optimize iPhone Storage (checked)

Download and Keep Originals (not checked)

Upload to My Photo Stream (on)

Upload Burst Photos (not on) "Only favorite burst photos will be uploaded to your Photo Stream"

iCloud Photo Sharing (on)

Is that what you are looking for?

Dec 16, 2017 12:14 PM in response to mrscline

No the status is at the bottom of the Photos view - it should be Updated Just Now

Since you posted your question in the Photos for Mac forum I assumed you were using Photos for Mac with iCLoud Photo Library -- again what are your iCloud settings on the Mac?

Similarly, the phone is set up to back up to my computer when connected to wifi and the same photos that are not in iCloud are also not being being recognized by the computer.

Since you are not using iCloud Photo Library exactly how are you doing this?

Are the photos on your iPhone that are not on iCloud and not on your Mac in the camera roll? Have you edited them with any third party software on the iPhone? What is different about them?

LN

iPhone photos not recognized by Photos or iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.