Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing Text Formatting on Export

I import a lead list from trade shows, and the list is all caps. I use the spreadsheet to make many different modifications (delete unwanted columns an rows, add new data, etc.). I used to use Excel, and converted the caps using the proper() function. I then imported the list into FileMaker, and the records were capitalized correctly.

However, FileMaker Pro 16 (FileMaker is an Apple company!!!) does not support import from Numbers. So I have to first convert the data to title caps in Numbers, save the file as an Excel file, then import the Excel file into FileMaker.

However, when exporting Numbers files (and I have tried all export formats I could use), the cell formatting applied to text (i.e. title caps) is lost, and the text reverts to all caps. Yeah, I could do the formatting in FileMaker, but that is tedious.

Need a short-term workaround, and, longer term, a "preserve text formatting" check box when exporting from Numbers.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 7:47 AM

I have made a template in Numbers for this kind of work.

Screenshot below:

User uploaded file

When exporting to Excel all formatting was preserved.

I don't have FileMaker.

One question (and also a suggestion) : is it possible to copy one column in the wanted format from this table and paste this column in a FileMaker database?

I suggest to make a copy from the latest column F, created manually by COPY/PASTE AND MATCH STYLE). The latest column F has been previously formatted to the desired format (here: Helvetica Bold Oblique — Small Caps).

Paul.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 7:47 AM in response to businessuser

I have made a template in Numbers for this kind of work.

Screenshot below:

User uploaded file

When exporting to Excel all formatting was preserved.

I don't have FileMaker.

One question (and also a suggestion) : is it possible to copy one column in the wanted format from this table and paste this column in a FileMaker database?

I suggest to make a copy from the latest column F, created manually by COPY/PASTE AND MATCH STYLE). The latest column F has been previously formatted to the desired format (here: Helvetica Bold Oblique — Small Caps).

Paul.

Dec 16, 2017 9:35 AM in response to businessuser

businessuser wrote:

I import a lead list from trade shows, and the list is all caps. I use the spreadsheet to make many different modifications (delete unwanted columns an rows, add new data, etc.). I used to use Excel, and converted the caps using the proper() function. I then imported the list into FileMaker, and the records were capitalized correctly.

However, FileMaker Pro 16 (FileMaker is an Apple company!!!) does not support import from Numbers. So I have to first convert the data to title caps in Numbers, save the file as an Excel file, then import the Excel file into FileMaker.

However, when exporting Numbers files (and I have tried all export formats I could use), the cell formatting applied to text (i.e. title caps) is lost, and the text reverts to all caps. Yeah, I could do the formatting in FileMaker, but that is tedious.

Need a short-term workaround, and, longer term, a "preserve text formatting" check box when exporting from Numbers.

Thanks!

Try this - avoid Numbers

Import the lead list from trade shows with all caps into Excel, do your modifications

Then export the list into BBEdit to verify the changes

Then export that file into FileMaker Pro

https://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

You can download a demo product

- - I have no commercial interests in any of the above mentioned products - -

Dec 16, 2017 9:45 AM in response to businessuser

Did not read that too closely, so...

Try this - use Numbers

Import the lead list from trade shows with all caps into Numbers, do your modifications

Then export the list into BBEdit to verify the changes

Then export that file into FileMaker Pro

https://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

You can download a demo product

- - I have no commercial interests in any of the above mentioned products - -

Excel as well as Numbers can sometimes be too helpful in formatting and or importing and exporting

Dec 16, 2017 6:50 PM in response to businessuser

Why not avoid using formatting on the cells and actually replace the cells with what want to be in them?

If, for instance, you need a field to contain all caps, modify the contents to actually have all caps?

create a temporary column, e.g. in the case of the field you want to have all caps, let's assume that is column B.

select column B and insert a new column after.

then in column C (the new column you just added)

add the function

C1=UPPER(B1)

this is shorthand for... select cell C1, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=UPPER(B1)

then fill that formula down, by select cell C1, copy

now select cells C1 thru the end of column C, paste

now select column C, copy

now select column B, then select the Numbers menu item "Edit > Paste Formula Results"

now remove column C (which was a temp column)

Dec 16, 2017 7:29 PM in response to businessuser

businessuser wrote:

However, when exporting Numbers files (and I have tried all export formats I could use), the cell formatting applied to text (i.e. title caps) is lost, and the text reverts to all caps.

How are you applying the formatting in Numbers?

I tried two ways:

Edit > Transformations > Capitalize (in the menu)

and:

=PROPER(A1) where A1 contained the text I wanted to capitalize

Then I exported using File > Export To > Excel...

In both cases the formatting was preserved correctly when I opened in Excel. (I don't have FileMaker to test).

I also tried File > Export To > CSV...

Same result. The formatting was preserved.

Based on my tests Numbers seems to be doing the right thing. Perhaps you could explain more how your are actually doing the formatting in Numbers.

SG

Losing Text Formatting on Export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.