Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sim free iPhone 8 plus working in Africa

Hello guys,

I just bought a sim free iPhone 8 plus from an electronic store (not an Apple store). I intend on using the phone in Africa. Will the phone work ?

I was just told if an iPhone was bought outside of an Apple store, it would not work outside of Europe or the US?

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 10:32 AM

5 replies

Dec 16, 2017 10:34 AM in response to ocdial

If it was truly a SIM-free phone, it should work. Where did you purchase this phone? Many of the electronic box stores in the US, sell phones they may advertised as SIM-free unlocked phones, but they are really ones that are on a flex reseller policy. That means the device locks to the first US SIM used on the phone, and may not be eligible to activate in Africa.

Dec 16, 2017 10:48 AM in response to ocdial

Again, many of the box stores that sell phones advertised as SIM-free just mean that, there is no SIM with the phone. It does not mean they are unlocked. There are stores in the UK that are the same as what I described in the US. One is Carphone Warehouse. The only place to guarantee an unlocked phone is from Apple. Also, the warranty for that device is only valid in the UK, so you would have to physically bring it back there for warranty service. Good luck.

sim free iPhone 8 plus working in Africa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.