Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! How do I find a folder when doing a Finder search for a file in OS 10.11.6?

I have El Capitan 10.11.6. To find an older file, I used to be able to click on Finder/Command + F, then type the file name and "matches" or "contains" into the search bar. The file name would come up and at the bottom of the window I'd see the file directory and could go directly to the folder it was stored in. If the name appeared in different applications--documents, emails, etc.--I could add a second criterion (just "documents), and if I knew when it was last used, I could add a third criterion (year, dates after, etc.).

All of a sudden, Finder stopped showing the folder sequence (sometimes, not always), and finding an old file became a lot more complicated. Then it started giving me the various possibilities by date/year in reverse order, so I not only couldn't see which folder it was in but would have to slog through a whole series of possible dates.

As a result of Apple's wonderful "improvements," doing a Finder search is now either useless for finding a folder or an incredible time-suck, more often the former. Can someone tell me how to set the search parameters so that a search always includes the folder directory at the bottom the way it used to? Thanks for any help out there!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), 13" early 2015

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 10:25 AM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2017 11:08 AM in response to Turtlewiz

The following will work in a normal Finder window search field, or in Spotlight:

The following:

name:partial name

where partial name can be dsc when looking for a file, or folder whose case-insensitive name is, or contains the string dsc.

If you are looking for a PDF (e.g. myMovies.pdf) that was created after Sept 1, 2017, you could search:

kind:pdf created:>09/01/2017 name:my

Take advantage of the Finder Help and see other ways you can use the power of search:

User uploaded file

Help! How do I find a folder when doing a Finder search for a file in OS 10.11.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.