Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App (or OS X) does not unlock library

Hi fellow users,

There seems to be a nasty issue using multiple Photos libraries on one Mac or shared via network. Perhaps someone can confirm the issue or tell me how to solve it. I suppose it's a bug...

Ok, here's the issue:

We have two Macs, a Mini and a Macbook, which we use in our family. The Mini has an external Raid Drive. The content of the drive is shared in our home network, including several Photos libraries. The main users, my wife and myself to have admin rights on the machines.

If any user opens one of the libraries, let's call it "library 1", on the shared drive or local on the MacMini, of course one can work as expected. No other user can open the same library as it's locked by the system/Photos. After the work is done "library 1" is closed and the Photos app shutdown.

Even after "library 1" has been closed as described above, no other user can open "library 1", nor by local access neither via network. Only the user who worked with the library last, can re-open it. The "library 1" in our example stays locked until the user who worked with it is logging out completely.

So, either the Photos app is not releasing a library correctly or a system service is blocking the library for some reason. The "library 1" in out example is not the system library, of course.

The issue is quite annoying and was not present in the past. I'd guess with the early versions of Sierra everything was still fine. Now one has to check all computers and unlock all users until one can access our family's library again.

Can you confirm the issue on your machines? I already sent product feedback to apple.

THX

Thomas

macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 10:48 AM

11 replies

Dec 16, 2017 11:01 AM in response to WoodenTiger74

For starters the Photos library can not be access wirelessly - it must be on a local drive connected with a fast wired connection or internal - Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive

And Photos is not a multie user program and does not work well with different users accessing a single library

The "library 1" in our example stays locked until the user who worked with it is logging out completely.

Correct - until you log out there are possibly (probably) Photos background processing going on requiring access to the library

The only supported way to share a library is using iCloud Photo Library with all sharing users logged in with the Same Apple ID

LN

Dec 16, 2017 11:04 AM in response to WoodenTiger74

Quitting Photos and closing the library does to suffice to release the library. Your system Photos Library will be in use as long as you are signed into your Mac. You have to log off to release the library. The drive with the shared library should have the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag set, as described here.

Sharing photo libraries among multiple users - Apple Support

Apple advises against storing the Photos Library on a network share, just like previously for iPhoto Libraries and Aperture Libraries.

This is also documented in: Sharing photo libraries among multiple users - Apple Support

Connect an external USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt drive which has enough free space to contain the library.
Be sure to choose a locally mounted drive. Storing your library on a network share can lead to poor performance, data corruption, or data loss.

Dec 17, 2017 12:09 PM in response to WoodenTiger74

If any user opens one of the libraries, let's call it "library 1", on the shared drive or local on the MacMini,

To share a library at all, it needs to be on locally mounted drive or in a separate partition of the system drive, with the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag set. Is that what you are doing?

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517

And log off, when you finish to work with Photos, to terminate all Photos processes. Quitting Photos is not enough.

Dec 16, 2017 12:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

Well, as to be read in my article, the issue is also present not using network access, but the same hard drive, physically connected to one machine. After opening a library it cannot be opened by another user on the same Mac unless the user who opened it, is logging out.

Accessing a library on a network drive improved a lot since the first version of Apple's Photos app. Even though I'm no developer it works good enough for us.

Dec 16, 2017 12:49 PM in response to léonie

The scenario we have is basically the one which is described on the linked support page. Ownership is turned of on the USB-connected drive.

The last paragraph says:

"Only one user can have a shared photo library open. If another user tries to open it, an alert message appears that says the library is already in use. You'll need to quit Photos or iPhoto from the first user account before the next user will be able to view or edit this library."

And even this is not working! Only if the user is logging out, the library is released. Closing the Photos app, as described, is not enough.

I'm actually not sure whether it's background processes locking the library, because the user who opened an locked a library can open other ones and the background processes would focus on the last library opened, wouldn't they? Well, unless there's a bug, blocking that...?

Dec 16, 2017 1:07 PM in response to WoodenTiger74

I'm actually not sure whether it's background processes locking the library, because the user who opened an locked a library can open other ones and the background processes would focus on the last library opened, wouldn't they? Well, unless there's a bug, blocking that...?

As far as I can tell, the background processes are primarily working for the system library (the Photos library used with the Media Browser or iCloud services). Then the library will be in use, as long as you are logged in. if you are not using iCloud services with your Photos Library, consider to make a different library the System Photos Library. This will stop the icloud processes from blocking your library.

Quitting an application does not ensure that it really terminates. This has been the way since MacOS 1O.7 Lion. Quitting an application will just tell Mac OS X that you no longer need the application running, but MacOS X may keep it cached and ready to resume, nevertheless. Only logging of will terminate the applications for sure.

This new process model of "Sudden Termination" and "Resume" has been introduced with MacOS Lion, It is quicker to go straight for a restart of the system, to be sure, that not a cached version of an application will be resumed.

( http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/8/#process-model)

Ownership is turned of on the USB-connected drive.

But in your original post you said "or shared via network". Are you using the drive alternately over network or USB? Network access is simply not supported.

Dec 16, 2017 1:22 PM in response to WoodenTiger74

the support page is for multiple users on one computer, not for multiple computers, and only for direct wired connections, not for network as you have

We have two Macs, a Mini and a Macbook, which we use in our family. The Mini has an external Raid Drive. The content of the drive is shared in our home network, including several Photos libraries. The main users, my wife and myself to have admin rights on the machines.

and it is an old article that predates High Sierra which uses more back ground processing that previous versions did

again you are trying to do something the Photos is not designed to do

And Photos is not a multie user program and does not work well with different users accessing a single library

Simply, the photos library is not designed for network access. End of story. That it worked for you in the past was pure luck.

and as to this strange post

Accessing a library on a network drive improved a lot since the first version of Apple's Photos app. Even though I'm no developer it works good enough for us.

I believe the reason you posted is that it is not working for you - and the reason is that you are doing things that are not supported and do not work

LN

Dec 17, 2017 11:49 AM in response to léonie

@Léonie

Yes, in my original I wrote "or shared via network" because we're doing both: The MacMini is our main machine in our little home office. On one of the USB3 ports there's a RAID drive connected, which holds the Photo Libraries for all users. One of the libraries is our common family library.

The access to the RAID drive is possible via network, too. But most of the editing work is done using the mini.

@Leonie & Larry

Please ignore the fact, that we access the family library sometimes via network to watch the photos using out Macbook.

Again, if one user opens the family library (which was library 1 in my original description) and is closing the Photos app and therefore the library, the library stays locked. If one switches the user on the Mini without logging out the user who had the family library open the last time, the newly logged in user cannot open it. And again, the family library is NOT the System Library which is using iCloud services and whatsoever.

So the issue is not about network access!

Dec 19, 2017 4:21 AM in response to WoodenTiger74

My question/issue is what is keeping the library locked? It worked without logging off in the past?!?

I have always had to log off to be able to access my photos libraries from my second user account, at least for the system photos library. It has been this way for me, ever since I switched to Photos. perhaps we are using Photos differently. And the background processing may settle down after a few weeks. Directly after the upgrade the photosanalysisd will be running a lot, scanning for categories and faces, also the video conversion will rerunning, if you are using the new codecs HEIC or HEVC on a synced IOS device.

Photos App (or OS X) does not unlock library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.