Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi wont turn off on ios 11.2.1 it just disconnects me from networks, can anyone help me out

z

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 4:47 PM

gortdromagh wrote:

Wow - coming thick and fast now. I sleep with my phone next to me so I can see the time and to set an alarm if needed. I don't like having any of the radios transmitting or receiving while I sleep. These helpful suggestions appear to be missing the point. I don't actually care if you think I should use Do Not Disturb instead of Airplane mode. I am uncomfortable with the direction Apple have taken in removing functionality and choice in this area. No-one has explained why Apple have made this change and no-one has suggested an advantage.

Since you haven't seen it in the hundreds of posts explaining it or Apple's tech note on it (Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center with iOS 11 - Apple Support), I will. The Control Center buttons were repurposed to disconnect from the current network, but leave Wi-Fi on. This has several benefits:

• If doesn't prevent you from turning off Wi-Fi if you really want to
  • Wi-Fi greatly improves the accuracy of location services
  • If a different network appears it will still connect to it
  • There's no chance of forgetting Wi-Fi is off, so you won't inadvertently leave it off and run up a large cellular data bill
  • There is really no reason to ever turn Wi-Fi off, except to disconnect from the current network.

I use it for that last one very frequently, and I've found this new way of managing Wi-Fi to be very useful. And I never turn off Wi-Fi for any other reason.

As there were 4 ways to turn off Wi-Fi previously, this was a good use of the button on the Control Center, as it leaves 3 other ways to turn off Wi-Fi. If you use any of them Wi-Fi will turn off and stay off. Yes, it really will. I've seen a few claims that it doesn't, but I have not been able to reproduce it on any of my 3 iOS devices, so either people are mistaken or their phones are very broken.

Previously I could choose to turn off WiFi and it would stay off until I chose to switch it back on. That is no longer the case.

WRONG. If you turn off Wi-Fi it stays off. I've tried it with 3 iOS devices, and if I turn off Wi-Fi in Settings it stays off. Dead off. I left it off for a week once, just to make sure. It was still off a week later, when I turned it back on. I have also done a test where I turned Wi-Fi off, then turned on Airplane mode. When I turned off Airplane mode Wi-Fi was still off.

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2018 4:47 PM in response to gortdromagh

gortdromagh wrote:

Wow - coming thick and fast now. I sleep with my phone next to me so I can see the time and to set an alarm if needed. I don't like having any of the radios transmitting or receiving while I sleep. These helpful suggestions appear to be missing the point. I don't actually care if you think I should use Do Not Disturb instead of Airplane mode. I am uncomfortable with the direction Apple have taken in removing functionality and choice in this area. No-one has explained why Apple have made this change and no-one has suggested an advantage.

Since you haven't seen it in the hundreds of posts explaining it or Apple's tech note on it (Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center with iOS 11 - Apple Support), I will. The Control Center buttons were repurposed to disconnect from the current network, but leave Wi-Fi on. This has several benefits:

• If doesn't prevent you from turning off Wi-Fi if you really want to
  • Wi-Fi greatly improves the accuracy of location services
  • If a different network appears it will still connect to it
  • There's no chance of forgetting Wi-Fi is off, so you won't inadvertently leave it off and run up a large cellular data bill
  • There is really no reason to ever turn Wi-Fi off, except to disconnect from the current network.

I use it for that last one very frequently, and I've found this new way of managing Wi-Fi to be very useful. And I never turn off Wi-Fi for any other reason.

As there were 4 ways to turn off Wi-Fi previously, this was a good use of the button on the Control Center, as it leaves 3 other ways to turn off Wi-Fi. If you use any of them Wi-Fi will turn off and stay off. Yes, it really will. I've seen a few claims that it doesn't, but I have not been able to reproduce it on any of my 3 iOS devices, so either people are mistaken or their phones are very broken.

Previously I could choose to turn off WiFi and it would stay off until I chose to switch it back on. That is no longer the case.

WRONG. If you turn off Wi-Fi it stays off. I've tried it with 3 iOS devices, and if I turn off Wi-Fi in Settings it stays off. Dead off. I left it off for a week once, just to make sure. It was still off a week later, when I turned it back on. I have also done a test where I turned Wi-Fi off, then turned on Airplane mode. When I turned off Airplane mode Wi-Fi was still off.

Dec 28, 2017 8:55 AM in response to James George

It is NOT draining your battery. The Wifi radio in your phone uses an insignificant amount of battery power and only checks once every 15 seconds for a known network. We're talking miliwatts. Your cellular radio uses a lot of power and I'm betting you never turn that off.

With Apple Homekit and Apple Watch, the new facility is actually very useful to many of us and is a change that was long overdue. There are many other reasons this is a useful feature. You can still turn off Wifi (though your phone won't work as well as it should without it) by going to Settings and turning it off or simply say "Hey Siri, Turn Wifi Off.

You may as well get used to this as it's highly unlikely Apple will be changing this.

You are welcome to provide feedback to Apple via the following link: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Jan 9, 2018 8:16 PM in response to fedp

They made this change for the millions of people who wear Apple Watches and for the growing army of people with HomeKit enabled devices. They didn't take anything away, but did certainly accommodate more people who also have needs. You'll either get used to using it this way, or if it doesn't work for your needs, there are plenty of other options out there. Also you do understand there really is no reason to turn Bluetooth off. It does not drain your battery (an old wives tail) as the amount of power it uses when not connected to a Bluetooth enabled device is insignificant. So why are you turning it on and off anyway?

You can certainly let Apple know how you feel, but don't expect a response and I'm willing to bet my car they won't go backwards on this either. Provide feedback to Apple via this link: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Jan 10, 2018 8:21 AM in response to JoD173

JoD173 wrote:

I'm sure everybody appreciates your snarky reply, but the reason is because it doesn't STAY off. If I turn it off it should stay off until I decide to turn it back on, not every single time it disconnects from power, detects I'm in one of my cars or just plain old decides to turn itself back on randomly (it HAS happened). I have zero reason to have Bluetooth on 95% of the time. As a matter of fact, the majority of the time it is physical safety issue for me to have it on. I shouldn't have to add "turn off Bluetooth" into my daily routine (countless times a day).

The Control Center does NOT turn WiFi or Bluetooth off. Settings does. If you turn off WiFi or Bluetooth from Settings, it will be off FOREVER. If it turns back on, YOUR PHONE IS BROKEN - take it to an Apple Store for repair/replacement.

I apologize if Apple's iPhone User Guide is snarky.

Jan 24, 2018 1:07 PM in response to amergin

amergin wrote:

The problem is that Apple will switch it back on again at their discretion.

No, that's untrue as explained in the iPhone User Guide.

amergin wrote:

...can you please explain to those of us who remain confused how we can switch off WiFi and then LEAVE it switched off until WE decide to switch it back on?

It's explained in the iPhone User Guide. Isn't that an amazing document?

Jan 24, 2018 3:04 PM in response to amergin

amergin

Guy, guy, guy. If you go to Settings and turn off WiFi, there is no reason to also go into Airplane Mode. If you use Settings as described in that really clever document, the iPhone User Guide, WiFi will never come back on. If it does, your phone is broken and you should take it to an Apple Store for repair/replacement.

amergin wrote:

...for development and other reasons I try to keep it off the house wifi.

I wonder if you'd be kind enough to explain why you like slower data rates?

Dec 28, 2017 8:40 AM in response to madra31

I agree with the other posters and feel this change takes away functionality that was working fine before and replaces it with functionality that is more complicated and more confusing, seemingly for no reason.

Is there any benefit to this new functionality that I'm missing?

Could we at least have the ability to hold down the button to turn off WiFi/Bluetooth from the control centre, or something like that? Or a 3D-touch option for it?

Dec 28, 2017 9:14 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski, thanks for your response. I know you replied to James George, but I'll jump in... I appreciate what you're saying about the battery usage of those two items. It's good to know that it has a minimal impact on the battery usage. However, in my case you would lose your bet regarding the cellular radio as I do regularly turn off the cellular radio for the reason you stated - it uses power and, without it, charging speed is increased.

I will submit feedback via the link you supplied. It might be unlikely to have any effect, as you say, but clearly Apple has listened to some kind of feedback to make this change in the first place.

Jan 9, 2018 7:38 PM in response to lobsterghost1

It's not difficult. It's just inconvenient, especially for those among us who only use Bluetooth for short stints but multiple times a day: It makes little sense to keep it on all the time and Apple just made it more inconvenient to switch it off. They used to offer simple, convenient way to control Bluetooth through the Control Centre, why take this feature away?

Jan 10, 2018 7:56 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I'm sure everybody appreciates your snarky reply, but the reason is because it doesn't STAY off. If I turn it off it should stay off until I decide to turn it back on, not every single time it disconnects from power, detects I'm in one of my cars or just plain old decides to turn itself back on randomly (it HAS happened). I have zero reason to have Bluetooth on 95% of the time. As a matter of fact, the majority of the time it is physical safety issue for me to have it on. I shouldn't have to add "turn off Bluetooth" into my daily routine (countless times a day).

wifi wont turn off on ios 11.2.1 it just disconnects me from networks, can anyone help me out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.