Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files cannot be created in the selected location - You do not have permission…

When trying to save a file to a pendrive on MacBook Pro, I get:

---

Files cannot be created in the selected location

You do not have permission to write to the selected location

Please choose a different location

---

I can save to Desktop and from there drag and drop into pendrive.

No problem on an iMac. I am the administrator of all devices. What is going on? How to fix, prevent, overcome it?

macOS 10.12.6 (16G1114) Sierra.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Booting from internal Apple SSD 2TB

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 11:59 AM

5 replies

Dec 16, 2017 12:16 PM in response to ApMaX

Select the mounted flash drive. CTRL- or RIGHT-click on the selection and choose Get Info from the context menu. At the bottom of the info panel check the assigned privileges for the flash drive. Make a snapshot of the panel and post it in your reply here.

To Post A Screen Shot

1. Press Command-Shift-4 which will change the cursor to crosshairs.
  2. Hold down the mouse button and use the crosshairs to select the part of the screen you wish to capture.
  3. Release the mouse button and the image will be saved to your Desktop.
  4. Drag the image on your Desktop directly into the message editor.

Dec 16, 2017 12:50 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks. I have found what was going on…

Selecting the pendrive and "File - Get Info" showed "Ignore ownership on this volume" selected on iMac, but NOT on MacBook Pro. Is that how it is supposed to show on the latter, if I had set it in the former to ignore such ownership on the former? I mean, if such setting is configured on one Mac, is it necessary to re-configure it again and gain in every single Mac where such pendrive is plugged?

Anyway, selecting "Ignore ownership on this volume" for pendrive on MacBook Pro fixed the issue.

Files cannot be created in the selected location - You do not have permission…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.