Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

circle with a line thru it?

my Mac book pro doesn’t open- screen shows only a circle with a line thru it. Started out of the blue, did not respond to rebooting.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 11.1.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 11:59 AM

3 replies

Dec 18, 2017 5:49 PM in response to Yenracbill

Hi Yenracbill,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the MacBook Pro will not boot to the desktop. It sounds like you have a prohibitory symbol. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

Prohibitory symbol

User uploaded file

When you see a circle with a slash symbol instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a valid System Folder to start up from.

If you're using your Mac at a school or business, it might be trying to start from the wrong version of macOS. Contact your IT department for more help.

If this is your personal Mac, try reinstalling macOS using macOS recovery.

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up

Take care.

Dec 19, 2017 10:08 AM in response to Yenracbill

If there is any data that requires recovery, I suggest reading about data recovery tools before proceeding further:

My data has become inaccessible, and I don't have a backup!

If there is no data that needs recovery, check if the file system is readable before attempting a system restore, as the hard drive may be failing, or the file system just needs a reformat. Both may result in a do not enter sign.

circle with a line thru it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.