Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Apple Mail of 10.6.8 on an iMac save received e-mails?

I lost all my e-mails from resetting my mail account.

(They were not in the mail-trash.)

I have a recent Time Machine Backup but do not know how to recover

older e-mails. Thank you for your help.

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 2:17 PM

They are stored in the /Home/Library/Mail/ folder. The Library folder is normally hidden:

Four Ways to Make the Home/Library Folder Visible

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in the Utilities' folder and paste the following red colored command line at the command prompt: chflags nohidden ~/Library then press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the Option (⌥) key, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field: ~/Library and click on the Go button.

D. In Sierra activate the Finder, press COMMAND-J, set Finder display to Icon view if it is in some other view mode, select your Home folder from the sidebar, check the box labeled, "Show Library Folder.

Please visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with Time Machine. This is an extensive site with most everything you may need for using Time Machine. You will not find a better resource for Time Machine in one location. Due to the passing of James Pondini, the site is no longer being updated. Therefore, some of the information may be a little outdated.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 2:17 PM in response to Walter Wedler

They are stored in the /Home/Library/Mail/ folder. The Library folder is normally hidden:

Four Ways to Make the Home/Library Folder Visible

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in the Utilities' folder and paste the following red colored command line at the command prompt: chflags nohidden ~/Library then press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the Option (⌥) key, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field: ~/Library and click on the Go button.

D. In Sierra activate the Finder, press COMMAND-J, set Finder display to Icon view if it is in some other view mode, select your Home folder from the sidebar, check the box labeled, "Show Library Folder.

Please visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with Time Machine. This is an extensive site with most everything you may need for using Time Machine. You will not find a better resource for Time Machine in one location. Due to the passing of James Pondini, the site is no longer being updated. Therefore, some of the information may be a little outdated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.