Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best format for a hard drive connected to a mini

Since I got my new mini a month ago. I started having errors messages that I didn't eject my external drive properly when in fact, I didn't eject it at all. I had a Mini prior to this and had no problems. Now I'm getting error messages saying I need to re format my external hard drive or I will loose everything. Now is this a sign the external hard drive is going bad. Or is it that the format isn't really working with the latest OX. And since I have to re format the hard drive. What would be the best format for it. I just reformatted it using MS.DOS-Fat32. But now I can not move certain movies back on because they are too large. There is plenty of space. Thank you . :-)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 9:24 AM

A precaution would be backup the externally enclosed drive and then reformat

to HFS+ Journaled; as that could support storage of system files if needs be.

Although the latest Sierra & High Sierra are made to run with a new Apple format

the storage drives need not have that in use; and if you use peripheral devices or

non-Apple gear, their files can still be drag/dropped or stored. However that said

I'd still have additional external storage for any non-Apple gear you may want to

archive separately. (A good backup external enclosed storage would have its own

power supply, & be sufficient for clones [of present or past] running Mac OS X.

And be capable of connecting to the Mac at sufficient data rate for boot reasons.)

While I've some externally enclosed HDDs including FireWire (for clones) there are

some fairly good examples at OWC macsales for most Apple backups. Be sure to

have a separate drive(s) for incremental backups, and for Time Machine activities.

In any event...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 9:24 AM in response to David Gurga

A precaution would be backup the externally enclosed drive and then reformat

to HFS+ Journaled; as that could support storage of system files if needs be.

Although the latest Sierra & High Sierra are made to run with a new Apple format

the storage drives need not have that in use; and if you use peripheral devices or

non-Apple gear, their files can still be drag/dropped or stored. However that said

I'd still have additional external storage for any non-Apple gear you may want to

archive separately. (A good backup external enclosed storage would have its own

power supply, & be sufficient for clones [of present or past] running Mac OS X.

And be capable of connecting to the Mac at sufficient data rate for boot reasons.)

While I've some externally enclosed HDDs including FireWire (for clones) there are

some fairly good examples at OWC macsales for most Apple backups. Be sure to

have a separate drive(s) for incremental backups, and for Time Machine activities.

In any event...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Dec 17, 2017 11:58 AM in response to David Gurga

New cord didn't help the external hard drive. I tried formatting it with HFS+ and then it wouldn't boot up at all. So I connected it to my old Mini. I was able to reformatted it back to FAT35 on that. But when you try to put files on it from the computer. Iit just disappears and the error message that it was ejected properly pops up. I'm thinking it's going bad.

Dec 17, 2017 4:54 PM in response to David Gurga

You may have to see about getting a newer external hard drive/enclosure

for backups; and a separate unit for Time Machine incremental backups.

..Note the Time Machine will use all the available space, and then start over..

An adequate TM backup would be at least 3x the total Mac system HD size.

There are adequate examples of STORAGE from owc macsales. For overall

value External Drive enclosures with own power supply; one w/ fast enough

data transfer speed to utilize 'full-system clone' on the external, as boot drive.

Depending on the available ports on your machine and their type/speed the

range of enclosures (self powered) should 'be adequate' for more than your

present Mac. A professional unit is advised, with adequate fast storage drive.

To have more than one backup configuration is a great idea; more than one

& also cloned-copies, can fully run your Mac from external enclosure are best.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

best format for a hard drive connected to a mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.