Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange info in Music when dragging from files to phone

Hi,

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 8. I'm not sure if this started exactly when I got the iPhone 8, or if it is a coincidence. I'm running Windows 10.

I don't keep any music in my iTunes library. For many years I would simply drag and drop my music files from my file system directly onto the my devices in iTunes. This worked perfectly until I tried to do this after getting the new phone.

If I drag files or folders directly onto the phone in iTunes, they go onto the phone, but the artist and album information is incorrect on the phone. Each individual song is a distinct album, and no artist information appears. If you go to Music > Artists, there is nothing. If you go to Album, you'll see one entry for each song with the same album entry. If you go to Songs, the songs appear normal. But the information is fine on the file tags, and it's fine in iTunes when viewing the music on the phone. It's just messed up in the Music app on the phone. Very strange. It happens every time and I can reproduce it on demand.

After experimenting, I discovered that if I take the additional step of adding the music to the iTunes Library first, and then dragging it from the Library onto the phone, the information comes down properly. But I really don't want to have to do this. I just want to be able to drag and drop directly from the file system onto the phone.

Anyone else seeing this? Any advice?

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.1, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 3:55 PM

There are no replies.

Strange info in Music when dragging from files to phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.