Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop not working

I am not able to transfer files through AirDrop "to and from" my Macbook Pro 13" mid 2012 Model..

Note that i am able to transfer files between all phones owned in our household which includes and iPhone 8 Plus, X, and 6Plus with no problems, but between the laptop it just doesn't work at all...

Also if you should know, the file transfer used to work before between the 6Plus but now nothing

Any advice or fixes? thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), 13" Mid 2012

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 5:51 PM

Hi jamcam808,

I understand that you're unable to use AirDrop on your MacBook Pro, and I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

I recommend that you go through the tips for this in the following article:

Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac - Apple Support

Tips for sending items

If you don't see the recipient in the AirDrop window or sheet:

• Make sure that both devices have AirDrop turned on and are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other.
  • If you're sending to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • Your Mac needs to be a 2012 or newer model with OS X Yosemite or later.
    • The iOS device must be using iOS 7 or later and have Personal Hotspot turned off in Settings > Cellular.
  • If you're sending to a Mac:
    • If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion, it needs to have an AirDrop window open: choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder.
    • If the receiving Mac is a 2012 or older model, click “Don't see who you're looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sending Mac. Then click “Search for an Older Mac.”
    • Find out if the Mac has “Block all incoming connections” turned on in Security & Privacy preferences. A Mac won't receive items using AirDrop if this setting is turned on.
  • If AirDrop on the receiving device is set up to receive items from contacts only, make sure that both devices are signed in to iCloud. Also make sure that the email address or phone number associated with your Apple ID is in the Contacts app of the receiving device.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 5:51 PM in response to jamcam808

Hi jamcam808,

I understand that you're unable to use AirDrop on your MacBook Pro, and I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

I recommend that you go through the tips for this in the following article:

Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac - Apple Support

Tips for sending items

If you don't see the recipient in the AirDrop window or sheet:

• Make sure that both devices have AirDrop turned on and are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other.
  • If you're sending to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • Your Mac needs to be a 2012 or newer model with OS X Yosemite or later.
    • The iOS device must be using iOS 7 or later and have Personal Hotspot turned off in Settings > Cellular.
  • If you're sending to a Mac:
    • If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion, it needs to have an AirDrop window open: choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder.
    • If the receiving Mac is a 2012 or older model, click “Don't see who you're looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sending Mac. Then click “Search for an Older Mac.”
    • Find out if the Mac has “Block all incoming connections” turned on in Security & Privacy preferences. A Mac won't receive items using AirDrop if this setting is turned on.
  • If AirDrop on the receiving device is set up to receive items from contacts only, make sure that both devices are signed in to iCloud. Also make sure that the email address or phone number associated with your Apple ID is in the Contacts app of the receiving device.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Dec 26, 2017 9:19 AM in response to CarlAVII

This did not work for me. Trying to Airdrop from my iPhone X to my MacBook Pro (late 2013) on El Capitan is not working. I can never see my Mac show up as a valid airdrop device.

I am sitting on the Finder Airdrop selection and sharing is set to Everyone.

iPhone X has no problems dropping to my iPad Pro in iOS 11, but the Mac won't have it. The mac can see and airdrop to the iPad Pro with no problems and vice versa, the problem is with the iPhone X some how. Can't see the Mac.

Sometimes, it works by toggling the Airdrop options on the iPhone X, but nothing consistent is working. What gives? 😟

AirDrop not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.