Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin password no longer accepted

My admin password is no longer accepted after restart. Has been accepted when starting in Safe Mode. Was also having problem opening Mail and had to right click and select New Viewer Window. Like wise when clicking on Finder, had to right click and select New Finder Window.

Have reset SMC and PRAM or NVRAM and Re-installed OS X High Sierra using Internet Recovery. After re-install problems seemed corrected but after a couple of days reoccured.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), 21.5", late 2009

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 1:58 PM

2 replies

Dec 16, 2017 2:10 PM in response to quince88

Make sure the input language is the correct one, I have experienced a bug in Sierra that despite choosing US input language, I start typing to my native language or vice versa.

Also, if you are entering your password using an external keyboard, try using another one.

If none of this works, please provide more information.

Dec 19, 2017 4:56 AM in response to islane

Thanks for the suggestions.

Did as you suggested and re-entered language and switched from my normal wired Mac extended keyboard to my unused Blue Tooth Mac extended keyboard. Neither change worked.

So problem of inability to enter Admin Password continues when operating in normal mode. Also unable to enter my Admin Password any time it is called for like when trying to conduct ‘computer scan’ in Tech Tool 9.5. Other apps also call for Admin Password and can not input.

Almost afraid to reinstall again High Sierra for fear will be locked out of computer. Have never seen anything on how to recover from lost Admin Password, but mine for sure is not lost. I just can not input the correct one or any letters/numbers etc., are accepted in the spaces.

As for the additional problem of Mail and Finder not opening from the Dock using a single or double click, that mystery also remains. In both cases the when try to open from the dock, the tool bar at the top of the screen remains opaque. Only when I right click and select “New Viewer Window” for Mail and “New Finder Window” for Finder, do they then fully open on the desk top.

For a while after I last reinstalled High Sierra the problem went away, but only for a day or two.

Thanks again. Maybe I need to just solve one problem at a time and look for "Unable to enter correct Admin Password" anyway hoping for the best.

Admin password no longer accepted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.