Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi much better than bluetooth calling with watch!

I prefer not carrying my phone around the house since I wear my watch and would like to rely more on Wi-Fi as it affords a more robust phone capability than Bluetooth.

Is there a way for the watch to default to Wi-Fi when it is available? My watch seems to hang onto the Bluetooth signal even though the phone is 30, 40 or 50 feet away resulting in many failed calls!

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1.2, Watch 2

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 3:38 PM

2 replies

Dec 17, 2017 1:47 AM in response to iRicktoo

Hi

No, it is not possible to default to Wi-Fi rather than Bluetooth.

Apple Watch automatically uses the most power-efficient connection method.

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

It may help to check for any sources of wireless interference and/or to unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support

Dec 17, 2017 7:28 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you Jonathan.

For something as important as a phone call, one would think signal strength would be a priority over power efficiency. Or perhaps make that a selectable option. I will provide feedback as you suggest. If you feel my suggestion is valid, it would be very helpful if you could provide Apple feedback as well given your level 10 status.

In the meantime, coming at it another way as a workaround, would it be possible to create some kind of foil or Faraday cage to reduce Bluetooth signal strength? Something that would reduce the Bluetooth connection strength to my watch down to maybe 10 feet while the phone and I are in my home office. This could allow usable Bluetooth in my home office while switching to Wi-Fi as I move to the rest of the house and outside without carrying my phone all day.

Any ideas on how this could be best accomplished?

wifi much better than bluetooth calling with watch!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.