Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get imessages that are sent to me, only ones I send

If I txt someone on imessage, it shows up on my Mac and can see it. If someone else starts the conversation, it goes to my phone only. This means I can only use my phone for most conversations and my messages are no longer synched.

Everything looks like it should in terms of the accounts on my iPhone and Mac but I'm still having the problem

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 4:48 PM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2017 7:18 AM in response to Tecumseh

Hey Tecumseh,

Thanks for posting your question in the Apple Support Community. I understand that you're able to send messages but unable to receive them on your Mac; these messages are only going to your iPhone.

You mentioned that you checked your accounts. I just want to be sure that you've checked the following settings on both your Mac and iPhone in order to make sure continuity is working properly:

Set up SMS and MMS messaging

Use this feature with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements. Make sure that your devices are set up as follows:

• Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
  • On iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Make sure that the Apple ID at the top of the screen is the same Apple ID that you're using for iMessage on your other devices. Add a check to your phone number and email address, so that you can be reached by iMessage at both. Do the same on your iPad or iPod touch.
  • On iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, then choose which devices to allow to send and receive text messages from this iPhone. If you're using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.
  • On Mac, open Messages, then choose Messages > Preferences. Click Accounts, then select your iMessage account. Make sure that the Apple ID shown here is the same Apple ID that you're using on your other devices. Add a check to your phone number and email address.

Use SMS and MMS messaging

User uploaded file

To use this feature, just start conversations as normal in the Messages app on any of your devices. You can also start a conversation by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, Calendar, or other apps that detect phone numbers. All of your incoming and outgoing messages appear on all of your devices.

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

If you've set up everything following these steps and you're still having trouble, I recommend to turn off iMessage on both devices, restart both devices, then set everything up on the iPhone first followed by the Mac.

Take care.

I can't get imessages that are sent to me, only ones I send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.