Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Library not found on visible shared drive

Hi,

I have been using Aperture since 3.2 and now have Aperture 3.6 on Sierra.

The Aperture Library and the Original files are on an external Drobo 5D drive on a Mac Mini Server running Sierra also. (Before someone chimes in and says "Apple doesn't support this", well thanks but it has been working happily for about 8 years)

Suddenly when I open Aperture it comes up with "Library not found". I click "Locate" and navigate to the Library, click OK and it runs.

Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix this somewhat annoying new step of not seeing the clearly visible shared drive on the desktop.

I note that when I navigate to Desktop in the Finder the Shared drive icon is not shown but when I navigate by the server name it suddenly appears. Seems to be some sort of network protocol issue. OS is 10.12.6

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob

iMac, OS 10.12.6

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 1:17 PM

Problem solved. It was a simple permissions issue. Resetting all the permissions on the shared drive from top down fixed it. Thanks for all the responses. I will upgrade the server to High Sierra once I finish application testing on the laptop. Cheers.

11 replies

Dec 17, 2017 12:56 PM in response to AspirationI

I don't know whether it is some sort of new AFP or SMB confusion.

You'd better ask the question about your file server in the Sierra forum. On Sierra you should still be able to connect to a file server using SMB and AFP. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25269?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Once you upgrade to High Sierra and use the new Apple File System APFS, SMB will be giving you less trouble. It will not fix the Aperture problem however.

But there is no safe way to put a any Apple photo library (Aperture, iPhoto, Photos) on a network share.

Dec 17, 2017 3:37 PM in response to AspirationI

Actually being on a server I think is the safest place for it, as I have never lost any data

You think? But Apple actually warns against it...

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT203358

Also, it is strongly recommended that the Aperture library be stored on a locally mounted hard drive. Storing the Aperture library on a network share can also lead to poor performance, data corruption, or data loss.

But what do they know?

Dec 17, 2017 1:02 PM in response to léonie

Thanks.

I just realised that this problem started after the server had Security Update 2017-002 Sierra. So maybe updating to High Sierra will fix it. Actually being on a server I think is the safest place for it, as I have never lost any data. The server is set to back up every night at 1AM using Time Machine and any machine can access it. That put's it way ahead of Lightroom (and Capture One which won't read Hasselblad files). So at the moment Aperture is the only asset manager that works for me.

Dec 17, 2017 1:07 PM in response to Yer_Man

No, even with this minor inconvenience it actually it still works better than any competitive programme and can be accessed by any computer and can open any raw files I use, including Hasselblad. That puts it way ahead of Lightroom which can only be used by the machine it is attached to and Capture One which won't read Hasselblad files. So at the moment Aperture is the only asset manager that works for me. Photos app is still not a pro product. Being on a server I think is the safest place for it, as I have never lost any data. The server is set to back up every night at 1AM using Time Machine.

Dec 17, 2017 5:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

> But what do they know?

Exactly. Have they tested it with 90,000 images over 8 years?

Sure performance could be better, but if you are sitting there waiting for Time Machine to back it up then not so perky either. It is a trade off but know it is backed up every single day automatically at night when I am not using it and as I said, I have never lost any data.

Also any machine can use it so that is a real performance boost if you run multiple machines.

If you google Chase Jarvis Workflow then he uses similar.

Apple also recommends only using its own RAM. (:-)

Dec 17, 2017 11:12 PM in response to AspirationI

Apple is warning against storing the library on a network drive, because Aperture has not been designed to work on a network. The main reason you can encounter library corruption are the internal SQLite databases. The database transactions are not synchronized and protected against race conditions. This means, that two successive requests for reading and writing to the Aperture library can overwrite and clobber each others results. Data can get lost or the database become inconsistent. And this can happen, even of you do not try access from two different user accounts, just because of the network transmission. The damage to the library can lay hidden for years. You are using Aperture outside the specifications, at your own risk.

Aperture Library not found on visible shared drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.