Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will the latest iOS support the Nikon d850 RAW format ??

I have a Nikon D850 and tried to import the pictures to my new MacBook Pro via a usb drive hub. iPhotos detected the camera but only some pictures got imported and most of the others did not.

Reading some articles, I came across information that said the Nikon d850 RAW formats are not yet supported by the latest iOS?

How do I download pictures from my Nikon D850 to my MacBook Pro.

The camera does not get detected like a drive in the finder either.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 3:17 PM

24 replies

Dec 16, 2017 4:54 PM in response to pirzad_m

Unfortunately, nobody here knows when (or ifj Apple will add to the list of supported cameras.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

You can scroll down to the product feedback links at the bottom of the contact page, and ask Apple to add support for the d850.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Might also want to send a suggestion along to Nikon, asking that they figure out how to need fewer host-side permutations for raw compatibility.

Dec 20, 2017 4:25 AM in response to MrHoffman

That link you posted Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support now shows that the Nikon D850 has RAW support in Mac OS High Sierra as of 19th December (yesterday) but there has been no further OS update since 10.13.2 released 6th December and I have checked with a NEF file from D850 and it still won't open. So either Apple have made a mistake or 10.13.3 is about to be released and will have the RAW support for the D850.

Dec 20, 2017 7:32 AM in response to Big Apple cat

You are asking other users. We only know about what is posted, and what's available. If what you have does not work due to a bug or a limitation, if there's an error in or confusion arising from the documentation or if there's an enhancement you'd like to have added, you will want to contact the folks at Apple directly.

I'd also send a grumble at the folks at Nikon around apparently needing custom support added for each and every device. Printer companies have that same sort of compatibility problem, with zillions of printer drivers for each device.

And that reference to the Nikon 850 was not there when I posted the link, so there's some progress.

Dec 20, 2017 1:14 PM in response to MrHoffman

I think Mr H you misunderstood me, I wasn't asking the question I was stating that after you added your post with the link, the list had changed on 19th December to include the D850. However, there has been no OS update since 7th December and as you rightly pointed out the D850 wasn't showing in the list when you posted it 17th December. As for the RAW L support it's the same as the D5 and D500. High Sierra 10.13.3 Beta was released to developers 18th December so I'm assuming that the D850 Raw support will be in the public version why else would Apple list it. As I have an Apple Care Contract on my iMac I will ask the question direct to Apple and see what comes back

Jan 9, 2018 12:23 AM in response to alemiele

Hi all...

my Mac started to open the RAW files even if I didn't do anything new.

I was randomly browsing my download folder removing old files when I came over a Nikon d850 raw picture and Finder suddenly showed the thumbnail in the preview pane... so I double clicked on it and preview opened the raw picture with not complains...!

Jan 28, 2018 4:51 PM in response to pirzad_m

I can confirm a couple of things. I have d850, and working off my XQD card where my fine jpeg + RAW L appear, when my card reader w/card attached to USB on my iMac. The jpeg and raw appear in Finder , under Untitled Device, which when opened reveal the two photo files. However, if I attach the USB cable from Camera to USB plugin in my Mac, nothing shows in my finder ie looks like , as you say, the Cameras, in the System Prefs have not yet picked up on recognizing the camera. Now, not sure, if it is this particular camera it is not picking up, or the new type of card it is not recognizing. Haven't tried this yet, with photos going to an SD card only.

Now, if I go to Photos app on iMac, under Devices, Untitled also shows up , so Photos is recognizing the camera/card there, however, the ONLY the Jpeg shows up (which I can import , with the big J label on it.). The RAW , Lformat is not showing up also, so doesn't appear so as I could import both. Only the jpeg shows up.

For now, looks like if I want photos to pickup RAW from my card, I will have to hook up to finder by seeing my photo files on Untitled, and then physically drag RAW to my Photos app, or third party app.

Hopefully I have shed some light what I am experiencing. Will keep following this post, and hopefully hear some cheers somewhere down the road on support for the 850

When will the latest iOS support the Nikon d850 RAW format ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.