Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: I have a late meeting model iMac & iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11. Your instructions are worthless in terms of trying to get AirDrop to work between them, even tho both have everything turned on; neither sees the other. ******

I have a late meeting model iMac & iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11. Your instructions are worthless in terms of trying to get AirDrop to work between them, even tho both have everything turned on; neither sees the other.********

<Email Edited by Host>

Posted on

Dec 16, 2017 4:15 PM in response to UsefulHelper06 In response to UsefulHelper06

Yup; have restarted twice.

Funny thing is, when, in iTunes on the iMac, I go to my device (the iPhone)....iTunes on the iMac does NOT 'see' things in Google Play on my iPhone, at all. It sees stuff already on iTunes; it sees voice memos; sees Podcasts; but won't see anything in Google Play (even tho, naturally, I had downloaded Google Play from the App Store!).

Dec 16, 2017 4:15 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 4:12 PM in response to LACAllen In response to LACAllen

It's related to my original question about AirDrop because on my iPhone, after having downloaded a ringtone from Google Play (Charlie Brown's Christmas piano!), I was searching for ANY way to make that downloaded ringtone....well, my iPhone ringtone! (It's not like Apple doesn't recognize Google Play: I downloaded the app from the App Store, after all). One thing I tried - or, wanted to try - was to get it on my iMac's iTunes so it could be somehow gotten into Ringtones that way, so I could select it. No joy!

My real basic questions still stand: 1) Google Play and the stuff you can download from it is recognized by Apple; how can I get a ringtone downloaded on it, to become my iPhone ringtone; and, 2) Why doesn't AirPlay seem to be available to me, at all? Bought my iPhone 7 Plus from the Apple store a few months ago; updated to latest iOS; my iMac I bought there last year, running 10.11.6/El Capitain. Advertising that capabilities exist, and yet they really don't, tends to make me ornery, after spending so much money.

Dave

Dec 17, 2017 4:12 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 4:36 PM in response to Lawrence Finch In response to Lawrence Finch

er...'scuse me??

I downloaded the Google Play app from the Apple App Store.

Just on the drive home, I my iPhone 7 Plus played the Google Play-downloaded-to-iPhone ringtone, Charlie Brown's Christmas, for me (I looped it for awhile, since as a ringtone, it was short).

So, I'm confused by what you're saying.

Dave

Dec 17, 2017 4:36 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 4:57 PM in response to dphuntsman In response to dphuntsman

I am currently in the iTunes App Store. I searched for "google play app" and nothing with that name came up. There was Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, and Google Play Books. Which one do you mean? And I didn't see anything about ringtones in the description.

Dec 17, 2017 4:57 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 5:01 PM in response to dphuntsman In response to dphuntsman

Just to clarify, there are Google Play Books, Movies, and Music stores available for the iPhone and iPad yes.

iTunes however, has no access to content purchased and downloaded from those stores. As Google chooses not to make it visible to iTunes.

As far as Airdrop goes, what model of iMac do you have exactly? It needs to be at least a 2012 or later model for AirDrop with Yosemite or later.

Not sure however if Google let's you share music or ringtones through AirDrop.

Dec 17, 2017 5:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 17, 2017 11:37 PM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

Will check on my 2016 21-inch iMac when I get home.

You say Google is essentially blocking me from using any Google-downloaded, paid-for, ringtones to my iPhone, from being used as a ring tone on the iPhone it’s on. Seriously? Honestly, that doesn’t make much sense. Would almost seem like fraud if true.

Dec 17, 2017 11:37 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 12:08 AM in response to dphuntsman In response to dphuntsman

If you have a ringtone purchased through Google Play music and you want it to be used on your iPhone, it seems you must get it to your Mac as an MP3, add it to iTunes on your Mac and enable it on your iPhone using the directions below.

It seems this can't be done via Airdrop as iTunes on your Mac is not a destination for Airdrop and Google Play Music is not a source for Airdrop on your phone. Airdrop is not a file manager with access to every part of the iOS file system.

I believe there is a way on your Mac to access your Google Play Music library. Access the file there and import it into iTunes to use as a ringtone on your iPhone.

User uploaded file

Use tones and ringtones on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 18, 2017 12:08 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 8:45 AM in response to dphuntsman In response to dphuntsman

If its a 2016 model, then it absolutely has something later than Yosemite.

Having downloaded the Google Play Music Store, I downloaded a song a and tried AirDrop it, and the only thing it allowed me to do was get a link to the song. The Mac just opened the Google Play Music website and showed me the song there for download.

It did not actually send me the song.

And easier way, may be to just log in to your Google Play Music account in a browser and download the ringtone from there.

Google limits song downloads to only 2 times per song however.

Dec 18, 2017 8:45 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: dphuntsman

Question: I have a late meeting model iMac & iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11. Your instructions are worthless in terms of trying to get AirDrop to work between them, even tho both have everything turned on; neither sees the other. ******