Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing not working

When I upgraded to ios11.2.1 I got an app called TV. This is quite useless as I don’t watch any type of TV on my iPad. What I do a lot of is stream music and home videos from my iMac via Home Sharing. This does not work. On3 can only hope it will be fixed SOON by Apple.

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 3:42 PM

7 replies

Dec 20, 2017 3:44 PM in response to Tony Rees

Hello Tony Rees,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble with the new TV app, and I have some information that may help.

The TV app replaces the previous Videos app and performs many of the same functions. Have a look at the article below for some helpful troubleshooting.

Get help with Home Sharing for iTunes libraries - Apple Support

If the behavior persists or you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Dec 20, 2017 8:55 PM in response to Tony Rees

I have an extensive library of music and videos, the latter all purchased from iTunes over the last ten years, the former a mix of iTunes and imported CDs. I used HomeSharing extensively to access my content and play music through my wireless sound system.
Since upgrading to iOS 11 and Sierra 10.2, HomeSharing no longer works. I am using an iPhone 5SE, AppleTV (+/- 3 years old) and MacBook Pro, Sierra 10.2.6, everything is up to date and HomeSharing all on with the same ID, etc.
I, too, hope Apple will fix this quickly, as it's put a real crimp in my Christmas celebrations!

Dec 22, 2017 7:52 PM in response to TwistedTory

Tony and TwistedTory, for the better part of 2017, home sharing wouldn't work for many of us trying to pair Sierra with the new TV app. Apple recently "fixed" the situation with the combination of High Sierra 10.13.2 and iOS 11.2.1. Please double-check that all your OS's are updated. After a year of frustration, I'm finally enjoying home sharing again between my MacBook Pro and iPad Air 2.

Dec 23, 2017 3:01 AM in response to randygrf

Thanks, Randygrf. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I'm now running High Sierra 10.13.2, iTunes 12.7.2.58 and AppleTV 7.2.2. When I check all for updates, they all say no updates available. I've logged out of my iPhone and iPad, so that only laptop and AppleTV are on and signed in.
Appreciate the attempt, hope it works for others, and that someone else can offer a solution soon!

Dec 23, 2017 9:51 AM in response to TwistedTory

TwistedTory, just wanted to add that media loads somewhat differently and more slowly in the TV app compared to the old (better) Video app. Please ignore if you already know this or have already tried it:

First, in the TV app, tap the "Library" triangle in the upper left corner, and a drop down menu should appear. It takes a minute or so, but eventually your iTunes media should show up. Mine shows up at the bottom of the menu as "(Name)'s Music."

Second, tap that link to your iTunes media and it takes you to a new screen. Now in the upper left corner a "Shared Library" triangle should appear -- tap that and another drop down menu should appear. Again it takes a minute or so, but eventually headings for your iTunes media should appear. For me, these headings include TV Shows, Movies, Home Videos . . . Tap your headings, and you should see your music and videos.

Again, sorry if you already knew this or have already tried it.

Dec 23, 2017 9:43 PM in response to randygrf

You are so kind, Randygrf, thank you. My AppleTV is about 3 years old and won't update beyond 7.2.2. I don't have Library, only Computers. When I start AppleTV, I have two options: "My Computer" and "Settings". When I choose "My Computer" here, or after it has gone through its start up to the main menu, I continue to receive the same error message: "Turn on Home Sharing".

I think that the problem is that I'm using the last generation AppleTV, which is really bad on Apple's part. It's a perfectly fine piece of equipment, I shouldn't be required to buy new hardware to access this basic functionality.
Regardless, I really am grateful for your genuine helpfulness. Happy Holidays!

Dec 24, 2017 11:59 AM in response to TwistedTory

Sadly for the better part of 2017, Apple broke home sharing for those of us with even newer devices, and we were left with no upgrade path. All we could do is wait for system updates that fixed the situation, and perhaps there will be a fix what you are running into. The crimp to your Christmas celebrations did prompt me to try to help and, yes, happy holidays!

Home sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.