Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I lose my Microsoft Word 2011

When I update to High Sierra will I lose my Microsoft Word for Mac 2011

latest update 14.7.2 (170228)

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 5:51 PM

9 replies

Dec 16, 2017 7:01 PM in response to DonnaJoyce1958

We have two macs still running Sierra for this reason.

Don't risk it (reply that says it will work but is not supported).

As I understand it, support for older 32 bit programs is discontinued in High Sierra. As the link notes below, only the latest MS-Office runs on High Sierra. I also have a Mac Mini with 2016 MS-Office, updated office and then updated to High Sierra and everything works as it supposed to.

Dec 16, 2017 7:12 PM in response to Steven Kutoroff

32 bit apps still run in High Sierra. It's the next major OS release after this that will be 64 bit only.

Not that this means Office 2011 will run well in High Sierra. Being 32 isn't the main issue. It's much more that it's a 7 year old product, MS has no plans to release any patches to it for High Sierra, and MS dropped all support for Office 2011 in October.

Dec 17, 2017 8:30 AM in response to Steven Kutoroff

From what I've read on these forums, about three-fourths of folks are having no trouble running Office 2011 in High Sierra, the rest not so well.

What the difference between success and failure could be is somewhat unknown. Are those having problems running garbage software on their systems? Which is any type of AV software, apps claiming to speed up your Mac, and other truly useless, system trashing junk. Or is it just older hardware? Or simply not enough RAM installed to handle the system resources being used?

Dec 17, 2017 9:35 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I keep my system relatively clean and the software up to date. It is a late 2009 iMac 27". Relatively clean means that I do have applications not from the Apple Store which I had to authorize. These are for my hobby and they come from reliable sources and are well used by many. I have no add ons that monitor or control my system. I run Onyx a few times a year to remove old fluff that builds up. Otherwise nothing. I updated my CCC backup before I installed High Sierra in case it failed. The only AV software is iTunes. Sometimes EyeTV, but I do that on the mini now.

I've had High Sierra on a 2014 Mac Mini for some time and have only one issue with it not seen on previous versions of macos and unique to how I use the mini. The mini has MS-Office 2016. I use the mini frequently as a shared screen. Only since High Sierra has it occasionally changed the overscan setting when I go back to using the mini on the attached TV. I have to go into control panel to set it back. A nuisance. Never happened until High Sierra that I can remember.

I'd like to more about those that failed to run MS-Office? Did they ever update their version to the latest? It is not done in the App Store, so I bet many never did.

Will I lose my Microsoft Word 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.