Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Intentionally postponing installing High Sierra

My iMac IS compatible with OSX High Sierra, BUT I have intentionally postponed upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra because one very important database app I use is not yet compatible.

My question, should I go ahead and install other "updates" that are now available, or are most of those "updates" intended to work when High Sierra is running.

Is there any harm in installing updates while I'm still running OS 10.12.6?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 2013 AMANDA 27 (late 2012) iMAC

Posted on

Reply
Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Again, it depends. I would definitely recommend the security update. I wouldn't recommend the other ones unless you are already running some previous version of iTunes 12.7 or Safari 11.0.

Posted on

Dec 16, 2017 5:26 PM in response to Live 'n Learn In response to Live 'n Learn

Hello Live 'n Learn,

Which updates are those? Updates from 3rd party software are usually going to be safe because they will continue to test with Sierra. Those developer might even still be using Sierra. But Apple is risky. You should apply security updates, but other updates can be risky.

Dec 16, 2017 5:26 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 5:34 PM in response to etresoft In response to etresoft

Updates I'm asking about right now are: iTunes 12.7.2, Safari 11.0.2, Security Update 2017 - 002 10.12.6


The software I'm waiting to become compatible is GYST Pro 4.0, an excellent database for artists. I understand the developer is working toward compatibility.

I understand there have been compatibility issues for many apps.

Dec 16, 2017 5:34 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Dec 16, 2017 5:37 PM in response to Live 'n Learn In response to Live 'n Learn

Again, it depends. I would definitely recommend the security update. I wouldn't recommend the other ones unless you are already running some previous version of iTunes 12.7 or Safari 11.0.

Dec 16, 2017 5:37 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Live 'n Learn

Question: Intentionally postponing installing High Sierra