Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't reset parental control password

Hi, I have lost my child's phone parental control password and so can't get in to manage settings anymore.

I have just restored the phone according to advice online.

I used the iCould backup after the restore for all her photos, contacts etc to be put back on her phone. But unfortunately it also backed up the old password, so I still can't get in.

Does anyone have a more detailed description for how to do this properly? Advice online is very generic.

Many thanks

Andrea (New Zealand)

iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 6:39 PM

See the following from Use parental controls on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you forget your Restrictions passcode, you need to erase your device, then set it up as a new device to remove the Restrictions passcode. Restoring your device using a backup won't remove the Restrictions passcode.

While you won't be able to restore a backup, if (and only if) any data was synced to iCloud by the options in Settings > [username] > iCloud > (e.g., Contacts, Notes, Reminders, iCloud Photo Library, etc), you will be able to turn those settings on again after erasing the device and that data will then automatically sync back to the phone without the restrictions passcode being brought back.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 6:39 PM in response to Andreacreates

See the following from Use parental controls on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you forget your Restrictions passcode, you need to erase your device, then set it up as a new device to remove the Restrictions passcode. Restoring your device using a backup won't remove the Restrictions passcode.

While you won't be able to restore a backup, if (and only if) any data was synced to iCloud by the options in Settings > [username] > iCloud > (e.g., Contacts, Notes, Reminders, iCloud Photo Library, etc), you will be able to turn those settings on again after erasing the device and that data will then automatically sync back to the phone without the restrictions passcode being brought back.

I can't reset parental control password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.