Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I convert an HEIC photo to a jpg?

Am working within the Photos app - High Sierra updated to latest version. Have done this before but cannot remember where that function is located...

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 12:39 PM

I don't need to export the photo - and while this is a potential solution, the last time I did this, it was done completely within the Photos application.

Photos never changes the file type of the original image file. In Photos you create a new image file in a different format by exporting the photo, if you need to use the photo in a different application, and the application requires a JPEG instead of the HEIC file.

How do you want to use the photos, that you need to convert them in Photos?

See this on how to set your iPhone, so the photos will always be transferred in a more compatible format: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 12:39 PM in response to alysonfromon

I don't need to export the photo - and while this is a potential solution, the last time I did this, it was done completely within the Photos application.

Photos never changes the file type of the original image file. In Photos you create a new image file in a different format by exporting the photo, if you need to use the photo in a different application, and the application requires a JPEG instead of the HEIC file.

How do you want to use the photos, that you need to convert them in Photos?

See this on how to set your iPhone, so the photos will always be transferred in a more compatible format: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Dec 17, 2017 5:52 AM in response to LarryHN

Is there a way I can use this option and not have to physically export the photos as there are several (100+) I need to do?

I am not sure why my Iphone randomly takes some pictures in HEIC mode and some in jpg mode to start with - that is a whole other issue in itself...

Dec 17, 2017 8:03 AM in response to alysonfromon

That is not possible without exporting the photo as a JPEG, deleting the existing HEIC copy and emptying the recently deleted album and then importing the JPEG - as has always been it is impossible to modify the contents of the Photos library

If you do not want HEIC photos then set your IOS device to use most compatible format to actually fix it at the source

LN

Dec 17, 2017 12:40 PM in response to léonie

For some reason, there is a problem with my phone and the settings on that device. The settings not staying in place as they should, therefore resulting in the importing of photos in HEIC format, which I don't want. I ended up speaking with Apple Support regarding this issue in much greater detail.

I use photo editing software that requires photos in jpg format which is why I need them in that format vs HEIC. I can export them directly from the Photos app, rather than from a secondary folder as it is much faster for me that way.

Hopefully, once the phone issue is resolved, this won't be a problem any longer.

Meanwhile, the current photos, I guess, will need to be exported and reimported to be useable.

Thanks for the assistance.

Dec 17, 2017 1:47 PM in response to alysonfromon

I have imported many photos from my iPhone X as HEIC format files. And I am able to either export them to JPEGs or use the EDIT WITH command (either from the EDIT menu or by right clicking on the image and selecting EDIT WITH) and selecting the external program I want to use. Tried Pixelmator, Pixelmator Pro and some of the older Nik software programs, the files were sent from Photos to the External programs in a format that the program recognized. Don't know what program you are using to edit, but I would assume that this would work for you - if you don't want to do the export of all the photos.

Dec 18, 2017 8:37 AM in response to alysonfromon

Photos is automatically creating JPEG file for each HEIF photo I imported to Photos.

I am seeing them in my user library in the folder For

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.MediaLibraryService/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple .iLifeMediaBrowser.ILPhotosTranscodeCache

For each and every photo I imported as HEIC and for every video imported as HEVC is a duplicate in this ILPhotosTranscodeCache. This way, the formats are not saving storage on the Mac but causing extra storage to be used for the converted files.

Dec 18, 2017 7:14 PM in response to léonie

I am a very basic user and you are now into language and information that completely overwhelms and confuses me. My question was answered and I don't want to delve further into things that, at this point, will make things more difficult for me. I appreciate that you want to provide information that you think will help but it doesn't right now.

My phone is in for repair at the present time - it is not something that I was doing wrong as the settings were all correct to take and download photos the right way but it was randomly photographing in HEIC mode which I was not able to change. Having to edit (a second time) over 60 photos that I THOUGHT were jpg photos is very frustrating, to say the least...

Thanks for the help - I am finished here and off to continue editing...

How do I convert an HEIC photo to a jpg?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.