Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule & Telstra Gateway Max

Hi,

I need advice on setting up a Time Capsule with my existing setup - wifi via Telstra Gateway Max router (C6300BD-1TLAUS) with cable internet. I bought the TC so our two laptops (MacBook Air, MacBook Pro) could backup wirelessly with Time Machine.

Aside from the laptops we have a number of other devices using the wifi: Sonos, iPhones, iPods, iPad

In researching this I understanding that I will need to either bridge the Telstra router or bridge the TC. I have tried both without success.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:06 PM

3 replies

Dec 17, 2017 3:14 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Thanks for the advice.

Your advice that it's better to bridge the TC (2TB Model A1470 with 802.11ac) and use the C6300 as the main router seems like sound advice if it's problematic the other way around.

The thing is, for some reason when I plugged the TC back in this evening, I had a working network, in fact 3 working wifi networks - the two usual ones from the C6300 (2.4G & 5G) and a new one from the TC. This is despite the fact that I thought I bridged the TC.

I have also been able to start my wireless backups from both of our MacBooks to the TC via it's network, although it did dump the backup process when I switched back to a C6300 wifi network to check something.

I would be grateful for any advice you have on how to optimise what I have set up. I think my C6300 is also 802.11ac so using either the C6300 or TC as the router would theoretically offer the same speeds.

These are the settings for my TC:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I'm not sure if the TC is properly bridged....

Also, this bit of advice threw me a bit...

my recommendation is once bridged swap the ethernet that goes to the C6300 LAN (ie NOT RED PORT.. must be Yellow one).. across to the TC LAN port.. <->

Thanks in advance,

Speckled_Jim

Dec 24, 2017 12:18 AM in response to Speckled_Jim

I'm not sure if the TC is properly bridged....

Yes, your setup is exactly right.

Also, this bit of advice threw me a bit...

my recommendation is once bridged swap the ethernet that goes to the C6300 LAN (ie NOT RED PORT.. must be Yellow one).. across to the TC LAN port.. <->

This is nor difficult... at the moment you have Ethernet from a LAN port of the C6300 to WAN port of the TC.. just swap that now to a LAN port instead.. it is not that different. In bridge the WAN becomes a LAN port in the TC.. but we find it somewhat unreliable.

This is despite the fact that I thought I bridged the TC.

The bridged TC can still act as WAP.. and in fact you have setup wireless correctly.. to act as such.

I have also been able to start my wireless backups from both of our MacBooks to the TC via it's network, although it did dump the backup process when I switched back to a C6300 wifi network to check something.

Ok.. this is where things start getting tricky.

Apple only support backups to the TC when your computer is directly connected to the TC.. When you swapped mid backup to the C6300 the connection is lost. If you started with the connection on the C6300 it might be OK.. if you wait long enough it might pickup again.. but swapping wireless in the midst of backup will definitely cause issues..

Why did you need to switch back to C6300.. ?? You can access the C6300 via the TC perfectly well.

One extra thing to do that might be worthwhile. Give your TC a static IP.. that helps you find it and stops it jumping around all over the place.

The best place to do it is DHCP reservations on the C6300.. but I will need to look up the method..

You can also setup the TC with static IP on WAN interface.. use the exact same numbers it has now with DHCP .. that will work but it is best to put those numbers into the C6300 as well.

Dec 17, 2017 12:39 AM in response to Speckled_Jim

Did you shut down the cable modem after you bridged it? It needs at least 20min off to reset the captive MAC address and pass on a new public IP. (reality is usually 5min but if that doesn't work go 20).

When you change router in a cable setup you must shut the modem down..

If you did do that then something else is wrong.

I have to say I think the setup would work better leaving the C6300 as main router.. and bridge the TC.

What model is the TC? The latest AC one has well known issue with WAN port.. and some cable modems.. my recommendation is once bridged swap the ethernet that goes to the C6300 LAN (ie NOT RED PORT.. must be Yellow one).. across to the TC LAN port.. <->

Set the wireless to create a wireless network with different name to the C6300 and really be good for the TC to be as close as possible to your clients that will use it..

And even much better again to use ethernet for computers doing backups.

If you do use the C6300 wireless there is also a problem of DNS.. where Apple stuff is simply lost without an Apple router.. and will quickly forget where the TC lives.

There is another way to fix the setup.. a bit more complicated.. but try the above first.

I am in Melbourne and do have a C6300 (for WAP use only.. since I am on ADSL).

Time Capsule & Telstra Gateway Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.