Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

frozen 2006 Macbook but cursor moves

Hi, I was getting ready to give a young family some older Macs I don't use any more. I was deleting old things when I got the spinning ball. I crashed it and restarted with control command and power held down. When it started the cursor is back but it wont activate anything when I click on it. Anyone familiar with this problem?

MacBook, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 9:44 PM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2017 6:20 PM in response to joeespin

Hi joeespin,

I understand that you were preparing a MacBook to be given to someone else, but now it only shows a black screen with a cursor. I am happy to provide some help for this issue.

If you wish to troubleshoot the current issue, you can try booting into safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Since you are giving these to someone else, I recommend erasing and reinstalling OS X. If you do not already have the OS X disc that came with the MacBook, you can purchase OS X Lion here:

OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple

Then choose the startup disk using the steps here:

How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

And follow the steps below to erase and reinstall OS X:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Decide whether to erase your startup disk

Decide whether to erase (format) your startup disk before installing macOS. You should erase your startup disk in the following circumstances:

• You're selling or giving away your Mac, so you're clearing your Mac of anything associated with you, your data, or your Apple ID.
  • You're trying to resolve an issue that Disk Utility can't repair.
  • The macOS installer says that it can't install on your computer or volume. For example, it might say that your startup disk isn't formatted correctly, isn't using a GUID partition scheme, already contains a newer version of the operating system, or can't be used to start up your computer.

If none of the circumstances above apply to you, skip to the next section to install without erasing. Erasing your disk permanently deletes all of the data stored on it.

If you need to erase your startup disk, follow these steps:

1. Select Disk Utility from the utilities window of macOS Recovery, then click Continue.
  2. Select your device or volume in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
  3. Click the Erase button or tab.
  4. Complete these fields:
  5. Click Erase to begin erasing your disk.
  6. When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window. You're now ready to install macOS.

User uploaded file

Install macOS

Follow these steps after starting up from macOS Recovery:

1. Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the utilities window.
  2. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions. You'll be asked to select your disk. If you don't see it, click Show All Disks.
    To verify eligibility to install macOS, your Mac serial number is sent to Apple, and you might be asked for your Apple ID.
  3. Click Install. Your Mac restarts after installation is complete.

If you erased your disk before installing, or you installed on an external drive or other new disk, your Mac restarts to a setup assistant.

• If you're keeping your Mac, complete the setup assistant with your own information.
  • If you're selling or giving away your Mac, press Command-Q to quit the setup assistant without completing the setup steps. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete setup.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

frozen 2006 Macbook but cursor moves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.