Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup not recognised after upgrade

Time Machine for my MacBook Air no longer recognises any backup since 26 July 2015, after the latest Security Update (2017-005). Does this mean a) I've lost all updates since 2015 and b) I have no choice but to go for a complete new back up? Most importantly, how do I stop this happening again?

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 10:33 PM

3 replies

Dec 16, 2017 11:30 PM in response to johnnyscott89

The TC has not changed model to model since introduced.. even after major recent change to AC model the basic firmware is NetBSD.. and to be honest the actual disk performance has hardly changed from version to version.

No .. the problem is Time Machine.. or more particularly networking plus TM.. and the rather strange way Apple talks to the TC. And how TM backs up.

I use CCC to a TC.. from a couple of computers..

One CCC license covers all computers in your household.. and is much more reliable.. NOT perfect.. so to do the occasional TM to a USB is no bad thing.. but to network drive.. forget it.

One day.. about once a year this pops up.

User uploaded file

I got tired of it when it last happened.. October.. and since I was already running CCC I just abandoned TM..

This is not quite true as I try and help people in this column I and currently running TM to Asus high end router with USB drive.. it works.. but the reliability is no better than TM..

I do also run a Synology NAS.. again TM works fine to it but still has issues.. CCC is much better to any network target.

Dec 16, 2017 11:20 PM in response to johnnyscott89

Are you still on El Capo or did you upgrade to Sierra/High ..

Likely the backups are fine it is just that Time Machine has lost the ability to connect to them directly.. you might need to archive off the backup.. to USB drive plugged directly into the Time Capsule (I am assuming TC.. mostly they are the problem).

Then you can erase the TC drive and start a new backup. Far better really than doing anything else.. you can plug the USB drive into the computer directly and access your TM backup..

Just right click on the Time Machine icon.. in the dock or option click the TM icon in the top menu.. just use browse other disks.

Most importantly, how do I stop this happening again?

Time Machine is now broken.. so badly this will happen over and over again.

Mostly it is network drives that are the issue.. so if you want good Time Machine backups use a USB plugged into your computer.

But even better stop using Time Machine.. and buy alternative like Carbon Copy Cloner.. it is far more reliable.

Dec 16, 2017 11:23 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you. A helpful, though rather depressing, response. Yes, still on El Capo - getting a little weary of constant upgrades! I now have 3 different Macs backing up through Time Machine onto the same Time Capsule, hence why your perspective on TC/TM is worrying. Is it TM or TC that's the problem? Is it possible to use any other app (like Carbon Copy Cloner as you suggest) with TC, or am I restricted to using TM?

Time Machine Backup not recognised after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.