Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix messages after iPhone 7 iOS update to 11.2.1? Apple Pay pop up now prevents me from reading or sending messages

User uploaded fileThis screen pops up every time I open Messages. And I can’t read or send texts and I don’t want to press continue or use Apple Pay. Messages is inoperable, unless I can be quick enough to press my finger very hard on the sender before this pop up appears. Then it happens again every time I reopen the message app. This started after I updated to ios11.2.1 on iPhone 7

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2017 5:29 PM

Okay folks, I have the answer for you. My husband had the problem and called Apple Support:

Go to Settings>Wallet and Apple Pay. Turn off Apple Pay Cash and your problem will be resolved. This setting doesn’t exist in the prior version, so they obviously goofed up the update...

5 replies

Dec 24, 2017 7:01 PM in response to midgel6

The response from Barb13... worked for me too. Slight addition to that is when I went to Settings>Wallet and Apple Pay, I needed to actually continue and setup Apple Pay (it wasn't previously 'on'), then 'Agree' with the usual conditions, then when it prompted for a Debit card, I clicked 'Later'. Then it opened a 'main' screen of sorts with options, one of which was the slide toggle for turning off Apple Pay. After all that, the $28 message *still* dominated. But as another post indicated, you can hit the 'Continue' on the $28 message and (at least once all the above was done) the message just cleared and didn't come back. (Very strange of Apple to mess up like this. Looks suspiciously like a rushed 'user story' during a rushed 'sprint' to deploy by the Holidays. Sigh. I thought they were above all that.)

How do I fix messages after iPhone 7 iOS update to 11.2.1? Apple Pay pop up now prevents me from reading or sending messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.