Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOs multiple displays – shortcut to set focus on particular display

I have a Macbook Pro with a cinema display connected to it. I'd like to be able to set focus on the other display by using a keyboard shortcut.

Here's an example of what I mean:

At this very moment I am typing on my second display (external cinema display). But I'd like to open the terminal application on the notebook display by using cmd-spacebar. But cmd-spacebar (and then typing the name of the terminal application) opens terminal application on the external cinema display, which has the focus.

At the moment, in order to be opening the terminal application on the other display, my right hand has to leave the keyboard and either use the trackpad or the mouse and move the mouse pointer to the notebook screen. And only then I can use cmd-spacebar to open the terminal application on the notebook screen.

This interrupts my keyboard oriented workflow.

So, my question is: how can I set the focus to a display via a keyboard shortcut (i.e. not using the mouse/trackpad)?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 3:57 AM

My apologies for my ignorance. I am missing the part which explains how to switch displays with a keyboard shortcut on the page which your link is pointing to.

3 replies

Dec 18, 2017 9:03 AM in response to Michael Kastner

The words you have been using are "change focus".

The words Apple uses when multiple spaces are used are "switch spaces".

Switch to another space

Use any of these methods to switch from your current space to another space:

there may be additional keyboard shortcuts available in mission Control, but not specifically called out in an article, as mentioned here:

macOS Sierra: Mission Control System Preferences

MacOs multiple displays – shortcut to set focus on particular display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.